Connect Sub to Multiple Groups?

Userlevel 3
Badge +4
In my living room I currently have a stereo pair of Play5 for music. I'd like to add a Beam just for the TV. I'm also considering adding a sub. Is there any way to have the sub work with both the Play5s and the Beam depending on which is active? I'm assuming the answer is no, but I thought it would be worth asking.

114 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

One question though: Is it not possible to group two fives with an Arc, a sub and two ones? The ones are added to the arc as surround, and the five stereo pair is added to the Room? 
Does that not work? I could have sworn I have seen this demoed at a dealer...

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

One question though: Is it not possible to group two fives with an Arc, a sub and two ones? The ones are added to the arc as surround, and the five stereo pair is added to the Room? 
Does that not work? I could have sworn I have seen this demoed at a dealer...

Not unless it’s changed very recently. You can add the 5’s but they won’t sync properly i.e. you can’t use them as front left and right, even if you were happy that they’s also carry the centre 

I would also like to be added to the list requesting this feature.

I’m planning on soon buying a pair of Fives for a space that shares a Beam/Sub combo.

It’s a relief that recent updates allow for easy enough re-grouping, but the ability to save groups/scenes sharing one Sub, allowing instant switching with stored Trueplay settings would be perfect. I’m not thrilled I’ll need to go through the Trueplay steps each time I switch the Sub’s speaker grouping. I won’t be moving any speaker’s location, so this step will feel a bit much.

Thankfully it seems the Fives do not need the Sub like the Beam does, so perhaps grouping the Fives to the Sub each time won’t be necessary. But still something I’d love to see in the future!

Please add me to this list as well. I recently purchased a Sonos Arc Surround sound set and wanted to use the sub with all my play ones grouped throughout my home in living room, bedroom, kitchen and bathroom when TV is inactive. Once I realized tia can’t be done I became quite dissatisfied. I know this can’t be done with a wired system which is why I switched to sonos! This shouldn’t be so difficult to configure. 

+1 please add me to this.

Similar scenario to many others: open floor plan with 5.1 Sonos home theater setup + separate Play Five turntable setup. Would love it if the sub could be used for both (not at the same time, obviously)

Please add my name for users requesting Sub to be supported for Multiple Zones 

I want to be able to use

Sub + Arc for TV

Sub + AMP with ceiling speakers for Music 

These are all in open plan Living and Kitchen area 

I cannot see me ‘physically’ moving the sub about my home (well not on a frequent basis, at least) so in my case I’ve attached the Sub to my Sonos HT and then I just group that room with the other Sonos Room (which is in the same physical room) whenever I’m playing music. I can live with that group setup and there is no need either, to keep TruePlay tuning the two rooms.

To get the requested setup being mentioned in this thread, it would need a feature that mutes all speakers in my HT setup (except for the sub itself ) I guess, but I’m quite happy to leave them all playing for now. There’s no point having the sub in one physical room and the speakers playing in a separate room, so grouping rooms will do for me.

On a slightly separate, yet maybe related topic, ...I would like to see a ‘balance-slider’ in the EQ of a HT room settings, as sometimes other people can take up the chosen ‘sweet spot’ when visiting our home and it would be ‘nice to have’ that option to adjust the audio left, or right, a little rather than having to retune (TruePlay) the HT room again. I think a balance slider could also provide more customisation to ‘perhaps’ assist when grouping rooms for their combined audio output, as mentioned above, where the grouped-room speakers include a HT setup and are all in the same physical room.  

+1 please add me to this as well - open floor plan and do my music and home theater watching separately but don’t want to buy a sep sub for each set up. Looking to upgrade my Gen 1 Play:5s in this space.

Userlevel 2

Please add me too to the list of people requesting this functionality: living room with 2 Play 5 (gen 2), one  Sub (gen 2) l. Planning to buy a Beam that I would love to group to the Sub (and continue group the Sub to the 2 x Play 5)

thank you Sonos!

a

Please add me to the list too, have two Play:5 (gen 2) in open plan room for music and Arc + 2x One for movies. Have a Sub on the way that I would like to use between the two!

Please add me to the list too, have two One (+ Sub) for music left and right of the tv. I am going to buy a beam for my new tv and i would love to pair the sub to the beam and the stereo pair of One‘s. Re-grouping is not an Option as trueplay is essential in my room.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Please add me to the list too. Have 2 x play 5’s a sub and beam in the same physical space.

Ross.

Please add me to the list too.

I have an open space with both a TV and a turntable setup. In terms of the room’s layout it makes no sense to connect the two setups. However the TV’s Arc could easily share a sub with a separate Amp and speakers connected to the turntables.  Two subs is out of the question. If I can’t connect the sub to both setups, there are better and cheaper options.

Please add me to this list.

Beam and two Ones as surrounds with a Sub, and music system in the room next to it, where the Sub is on the shared wall and there are two arches between the rooms, not even a door separating them. Would be so ideal to share the sub seamlessly. 

Please add me as wel. Setup is 2x play one's for music and 2x play1's with beam for movies.

Badge

Yes, please add me to the request list.

I have a new ARC for the TV and 2x 5’s for sound and just purchased a Sub.

Another vote for this feature. 

+1. This issue is currently keeping me from purchasing an Arc.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

+1 for me

have play 5 pair and want to hook sub to it as well 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Yes please note me too, i have a 5.1 setup but for music i really prefer the Ones over the Arc (Which is a compliment for the ones) and also i would like to use them in the length of the room instead. 

So now its 5.1 but i would prefer Arc + Sub for TV and Ones + Sub for music. 

Would absolutely love this feature, just 2 or 3 trueplay saved combinations with the sub. 

I do understand that this would be a confusing option for the average consumer but please make an option for this for us lovers :) 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Can’t agree more!! 

I have the HT setup as well as a BEAM and another pair of Play 1 for music. It’s not about the money for another SUB, but actually my living room is not big enough and has no additional space for it.

+1 :) I think this should be a really common requirement/setup: 

Living room:

• Beam + 2 Ones + sub for TV
  • 2 Ones + Sub for music

Our TV setup including the Beam is nicely hidden in a closet when unused. This means that currently, we have to keep the Beam powered at all times and when we’re listening to music, the audio output of the Beam uselessly suffocates in the closet. Also, the current restrictions imply that we have to use the Beam for the voice assistant feature instead of one of the Ones, meaning that we have to scream our voice commands through the closet doors. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello,

For me it is also difficult to understand that SONOS is not willing to implement this function. I currently also use a stereo pair Play5:2 together with a sub as a stereo system in the living room and am considering buying an Arc together with a new TV. It cannot be that this constellation should then only be feasible with two Sub.

For example, if a analogue turntable is connected to the analog input of a Play5:2, the system automatically changes the input to analogue when the turntable is activated.

It would be pretty much the same if the television is switched on while connected to a beam or an Arc. This means that the existing sub should then automatically be assigned to the Beam or to the Arc. If music is switched on again (for example with the stereo pair Play5:2), the sub should then be reassigned to the stereo pair. You rarely get the idea of ​​listening to music and watching TV in the same room at the same time.

In this case, it is not about different rooms, but about a room with two zones.

Before I put two sub in my living room, I buy a soundbar from another manufacturer together with a subwoofer for less money than an Arc without a Sub alone.

@LittleRedCorvette  Sonos doesn’t have a configuration of ‘two zones in the same room’ like you’re suggesting.  They have no way of saying you can share the sub as long as you place the sub in a room with two zones that share the same room.

So if Sonos did these, they would have to create this new type of room.  Taking your point a step further, you could allow a setup so the speakers in this room know that the 5s+sub should play music and the Arc+sub+surrounds should play TV audio...with no possibility of playing both at the same time. I would like that option personally.

But…..that would be a clear sign from Sonos that they do not think their Arc is good enough for music playback.  Not something Sonos wants to say, as they want the message to be that the Arc is great from TV and music.   It could end up turning away customers to other soundbars just as much as it gains in speaker sales.  Plus, customers will surely then insist that the two 5s be used for a wider front left/right on TV audio.  The point is that there are some side effects and unintended consequences if Sonos went in this direction that you might not be considering.

I’m not saying Sonos won’t do it or that I wouldn’t use it myself (I would actually), just not too surprised that it has not happened.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@melvimbe: the arguments are valid, except for the following two:

- A soundbar can never reproduce music as neutral as a balanced and neutral stereo pair (throwing effects around is something different ...)

- It's strange that SONOS offers turntables (of course with analog output, suitable for Play5: 2), but neither Beam nor Arc have an analog input (BTW: SONOS even offers bundles consisting of turntable and Play5:2)