Answered

Connect Sonos Port to Router 100 feet away

I have a home music system consisting of 2 Sonos Ports connected to 2 Sonance amps with 12 pairs of wired speakers. I want to wire a 3rd Sonos Port/ Sonance system to my garage 100 feet away. I have a Wireless mesh system in the garage but could not get the Port to connect and the help line said I was too far from the router. Can I connect the Sonos Port to the router with a 100 foot Ethernet cable? I was advised no, still too far from the router. Please advise.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 9 June 2021, 12:58

Hi @jedgoniu 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

First, yes - you can connect your Port to your router using an ethernet cable, up to 100m (328 feet) long, so that shouldn’t be a problem.

Secondly, I don’t see why you couldn’t use your mesh with the Port, as long as the mesh node used gets a signal from the main node while in the garage (which, at 100 feet, seems unlikely). The Port would also need to know the mesh WiFi credentials, of course. If the other Ports connect to your router via ethernet or WiFi, you’ll need to make sure your mesh is in Bridge mode. Actually, you should do this anyway if there’s another router on your network. Search the internet for “[name of mesh system] mesh bridge mode” and you’ll find instructions. Reboot your main router after performing the steps.

I hope this helps.

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @jedgoniu 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

First, yes - you can connect your Port to your router using an ethernet cable, up to 100m (328 feet) long, so that shouldn’t be a problem.

Secondly, I don’t see why you couldn’t use your mesh with the Port, as long as the mesh node used gets a signal from the main node while in the garage (which, at 100 feet, seems unlikely). The Port would also need to know the mesh WiFi credentials, of course. If the other Ports connect to your router via ethernet or WiFi, you’ll need to make sure your mesh is in Bridge mode. Actually, you should do this anyway if there’s another router on your network. Search the internet for “[name of mesh system] mesh bridge mode” and you’ll find instructions. Reboot your main router after performing the steps.

I hope this helps.

Thanks Cory. It worked.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

You’re very welcome! Glad to hear it!