Answered

Connect Amp & Outdoor Speakers

I have 4 jensen speakers EHT-8 (2 x 2 pairs, see specs below) and want to connect them to Connect Amp.
My son says if I do this I will blow up the speakers or connect amp. Is he right?
Thankyou in advance.
Brenda

https://www.jensenspeakers.com.au/eht-8-in-ceiling-speakers#specs
Specifications
Shape
Rectangular
Suited for
Wall/Ceiling
Description
8" 2 Way
Tweeter Size
28mm Silk Dome
Power Handling
140 W RMS
Nom. Impedance
6 Ohms
Frequency Resp.
50Hz - 21Khz
Min. Mounting Depth
95mm
Tweeter Boost Switch
Yes
Eyeball Tweeter
Yes
Paintable Fascias
Yes
Tweeter Protection
Yes
Magnetic Shielding
n/a
Colors
Matt White
Outer Dimension
380 x 260mm
Cut-out Dimension
341 x 221mm
Warranty
5 Years P/L
SPL @ 1w/m
91 db
icon

Best answer by Kumar 18 May 2018, 05:57

You won't blow up the speakers, but if the volume levels are too high for too long, you could send the Connect Amp into shutdown mode to self protect. After some time it will work again, till the event recurs. But the speakers are efficient given the 91 dB spec, so perhaps this won't happen and is worth a try if your usual listening is not at head banging levels.

See the Sonos instructions for wiring 2 speaker pairs to get it right.

If the Connect Amp does go into shut down, you can prevent recurrence by inserting an impedance matching device between the amp and the speakers, which basically prevents the amp from going too loud into overload.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

You won't blow up the speakers, but if the volume levels are too high for too long, you could send the Connect Amp into shutdown mode to self protect. After some time it will work again, till the event recurs. But the speakers are efficient given the 91 dB spec, so perhaps this won't happen and is worth a try if your usual listening is not at head banging levels.

See the Sonos instructions for wiring 2 speaker pairs to get it right.

If the Connect Amp does go into shut down, you can prevent recurrence by inserting an impedance matching device between the amp and the speakers, which basically prevents the amp from going too loud into overload.
Thankyou Kumar 🙂