Configure LG Magic remote with SONOS Playbar

Hi,

I recently bought the LG OLED65C8PLA with an LG Magic remote (the magic remote where you have a direct "Netflix & Amazon" button).

I've followed the steps in both "Configure Sonos home theater speakers with LG Magic Remote" as "Setting up a new TV or Cable remote with home theater speakers"

When trying to configure magic remote with my Playbar using the above mentioned guidelines, I don't get the option to select the "Manufacturer" nor the "Remote Type". After selecting the option "Optical" i can only save, nothing more.

Obviously I would like to have this working, so hope you can assist me.
Thanks.

20 replies

Userlevel 1
This worked for me. Click the home button on your magic remote. Scroll along the icons on the bottom until you get to a icon that says “device connector Selectsound bar & choose the Phillips brand. & selectremote type4. Select done. Open the Sonos app on your tablet or phone. Select the gear icon.Select the room your system is in. Select TV set up & control..Select remote control set up & follow the instructions using your Phillips (LG) magic remote
Hi Normike, thanks for the reply. But as I mentioned, the only 2 steps I have in the Device connector are: chosing Soundbar, chosing "optical" and that is it. No option to chose Brand or type remote...
Userlevel 1
If I remember correctley choose the Select Soundbar. The Sonos soundbar is a Phillips type 4. Sorry if this doesn’t work.
I think this is the procedure ...

Part 1:
1) click the home button on your magic remote and scroll along the bottom (where Netflix, etc is) until you get to a purple icon "device connector"
2) select soundbar and pick the Phillips brand and select remote type 4
3) Select done

Part 2:
1) Open the Sonos app on your iPad or phone
2) select "settings"
3) select the room your system is in
4) select TV setup and control
5) select remote control set up and follow the prompts using your "Phillips" magic remote
I have the same issue with my new 70” LG magic remote. There is no option to select Phillips or any type of remote under device connector
I have the same issue with my new 70” LG magic remote. There is no option to select Phillips or any type of remote under device connector
Here is the Sonos Support Page for that remote...

Configure Sonos PLAYBAR/PLAYBASE with LG Magic Remote

Hope that proves helpful to you ? and provides the answer you are looking for.
Ken

Like a few people posting the same issue we don’t get steps 3 and 4 as an option in the device connector screen. It appears to be an issue with the latest models. I have read every post and at lest 3 people have the exact same issue. My
model number is 70uk6540pta.
Same issue here with 86UK70 - same magic remote

I've tried contacting LG Support which to be honest didn't seem to even have a clue about Magic Remote and Universal Control...

If anyone finds an answer I need this urgently 🙂

Thanks
Ken

Like a few people posting the same issue we don’t get steps 3 and 4 as an option in the device connector screen. It appears to be an issue with the latest models. I have read every post and at lest 3 people have the exact same issue. My

You would think LG Support would be able to help you folk in this situation? I don’t know what the answer is, if they have changed the remote and it no longer works in the way the support pages describe. Let’s hope the issue gets resolved soon.

I would go to the LG forums and ask some questions there perhaps.
Ken

You would think LG Support would be able to help you folk in this situation? I don’t know what the answer is, if they have changed the remote and it no longer works in the way the support pages describe. Let’s hope the issue gets resolved soon.

I would go to the LG forums and ask some questions there perhaps.

I've opened a thread on the LG forum as well 🙂 so far no response from them...

There's got to be a way - There should be IR on the TV itself to replicate signal to other devices.

First to find out a solution gets instant world recognition here 🙂
For information, the thread over at LG Forums 🙂

https://lgcommunity.us.com/discussion/comment/3025#Comment_3025
https://en.community.sonos.com/home-theater-228993/how-do-i-connect-my-magic-remote-for-lg-oled-55b7v-to-sonos-playbar-6807708/index1.html#post16268772

The solutions lies in changing your TV country apparently - I'll be testing and will let your know.

For information where are you guys located ?

Let's hope this works !
Dont know if this information will help here... I’m just 'thinking outside the box' a little...

The 'magic remote' itself is obviously used to control the LG TV including it’s volume/mute buttons etc for the TV internal speakers ... however when you add a PlayBar, that Sonos device takes over the control of the TV volume and output from the TV (normally the TV sound output is set to fixed) ... the PlayBar itself is not bothered what TV remote is controlling it ... it just takes on board the infrared signals that are generated from ANY remote when a user presses the volume up/down and mute buttons.

In effect you could take absolutely any other IR remote and program/train the volume up/down/mute buttons to work with the PlayBar... I think some folk do this on occasions where they use one remote for TV functions like changing channels etc. and another remote for controlling just their PlayBar volume.

So you could use any other remote as an example just to control the PlayBar, however it would be nice to find a way to change the volume buttons and mute button to anything other than the LG TV then train/use the magic remote to work with the PlayBar.

I just don’t know if it’s possible to program the individual buttons on the LG magic remote in order to do this ...??

At least that’s how I think things work, in this particular situation.

Now you just need to try to find the solution.... !!
Which guys? If you're talking about the posters like Ken, you can click on their name next to their posts and see what location they've set in the forum software. If you mean Sonos, they have offices in many places. Several of the moderators here are in California, but not all of them, some are in the EU.
Dont know if this information will help here... I’m just 'thinking outside the box' a little...

The 'magic remote' itself is obviously used to control the LG TV including it’s volume/mute buttons etc for the TV internal speakers ... however when you add a PlayBar, that Sonos device takes over the control of the TV volume and output from the TV (normally the TV sound output is set to fixed) ... the PlayBar itself is not bothered what TV remote is controlling it ... it just takes on board the infrared signals that are generated from ANY remote when a user presses the volume up/down and mute buttons.

In effect you could take absolutely any other IR remote and program/train the volume up/down/mute buttons to work with the PlayBar... I think some folk do this on occasions where they use one remote for TV functions like changing channels etc. and another remote for controlling just their PlayBar volume.

So you could use any other remote as an example just to control the PlayBar, however it would be nice to find a way to change the volume buttons and mute button to anything other than the LG TV then train/use the magic remote to work with the PlayBar.

I just don’t know if it’s possible to program the individual buttons on the LG magic remote in order to do this ...??

At least that’s how I think things work, in this particular situation.

Now you just need to try to find the solution.... !!

The Magic Remote is RF only - there's no IR on it hence the issues. Since I have everything I need in my TV (Netflix, Youtube, Plex) I don't really need any other remote...Plus I like the design of the remote itself.

The Universal Control idea is that the TV acts as a IR relay of sorts blasting IR to your devices from RF signals sent from your remote.
The Magic Remote is RF only - there's no IR on it hence the issues. Since I have everything I need in my TV (Netflix, Youtube, Plex) I don't really need any other remote...Plus I like the design of the remote itself.

The Universal Control idea is that the TV acts as a IR relay of sorts blasting IR to your devices from RF signals sent from your remote.

Ah right, my mistake then , sorry about that... I didn’t realise.

I hope you find an answer to this though soon, kind regards... ?
I had the same problem with my playbar. Could not use the of magic remote control with my lg65c8pla OLED. I simply changed the broadcast country on my TV to Germany. Then, on the device connector, optical output, the playbar manufacturer submenu appears. I selected Sony type 4. Everything works fine.
I had the same problem with my playbar. Could not use the of magic remote control with my lg65c8pla OLED. I simply changed the broadcast country on my TV to Germany. Then, on the device connector, optical output, the playbar manufacturer submenu appears. I selected Sony type 4. Everything works fine.
I created an account just to upvote and thank this guy. The only usefull comment that helped resolving the issue.
Badge
I think this is the procedure ...

Part 1:
1) click the home button on your magic remote and scroll along the bottom (where Netflix, etc is) until you get to a purple icon "device connector"
2) select soundbar and pick the Phillips brand and select remote type 4
3) Select done

Part 2:
1) Open the Sonos app on your iPad or phone
2) select "settings"
3) select the room your system is in
4) select TV setup and control
5) select remote control set up and follow the prompts using your "Phillips" magic remote

Ken's answer got me most of the way there. Here's what worked for me:

- Press the Home icon
- Navigate to the right to "Device Connector"
- Choose "Sound Bar"
- Select the "Optical" radio button and hit next (in the top right)
- Select "Philips" as the manufacturer
- Select "Remote Type 4" (note, the buttons they prompt you to try didn't work at the time but do after it's setup.

And you're done. I now see the volume going up and down on the screen as I use the Magic Remote. Thanks for everyone else's answers that helped me smash this one together.
This worked for my Playbar and LGOLED55B8SLC (UK models): Device connector, Philips, Remote Type4