ChaplinX SL

• 27 November 2020
  • 10 replies

I have a Sonos XL and have downloaded they-dated software.

However, the SONOS controller that is in the brown box will not control my speaker as it states “it is not compatible”.  The SONOS site says it is compatible.  I believe the issue stems from the name of the speaker appearing as ChaplinX SL; the pair were purchased at Costco.

I have looked in the community form etc and there seems to be no answer to this???????

Any assistance is appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Assuming you mean the Sonos SL, use the “Sonos S1” app to set it up, then you can upgrade it to S2 to use the “brown box” version of the Sonos app.

Yes, I have a Sonos SL.  The issue is not setting it up.

The issue is, I have already set-up using Sonos S1, but the upgrade to Sonos S2 cannot be accomplished, as the software is receiving the name of the SL as ChaplinX.  From what I have found on the web, ChaplinX is the name Sonos was using while developing the product.  

So I guess my question is, how do I change the name of the product from ChaplinX to it’s correct name, Sonos SL?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Yes, I have a Sonos SL.  The issue is not setting it up.

The issue is, I have already set-up using Sonos S1, but the upgrade to Sonos S2 cannot be accomplished, as the software is receiving the name of the SL as ChaplinX.  From what I have found on the web, ChaplinX is the name Sonos was using while developing the product.  

So I guess my question is, how do I change the name of the product from ChaplinX to it’s correct name, Sonos SL?

So how far do you get? Where is the ChaplinX name being displayed? A screenshot is probably worth a thousand words here.

Sounds like it might be beta hardware, which is probably no longer upgradable.

Same thing shows up for me. It’s on sonos’ website as you log into your account and view your devices. Sonos one SLs from Costco (2 pack) shows up like this.

Somehow, your picture didn’t show up. 

Huh. That is indeed most interesting. My guess is there’s a bad data point in the database. Does it affect put the way the speakers play, or is it merely a display issue?

FWIW, I’ve flagged it for a Sonos rep to look in to. Hopefully it’s just a display issue. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Snrm0044.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for bringing this to our attention. This is an unusual case as the Sonos One Sl regardless of the name is very much compatible with the Sonos S2 app as you have verified. Allow me to share some information and recommendations.

Upon further research on our end shows that this was an issue in the past and has been already corrected by our engineers. However, It seems that your Sonos One SLs were not affected by the changes made. I would like to suggest contacting our technical support team for this issue to be escalated to our engineering team. The issue is now currently closed and has been declared resolved (which is not yet on your end). From What I can only speculate about this issue, the Sonos One SLs are either brand new or not yet up-to-date. Try checking for updates through the Sonos App if it would help. Otherwise, we may really need to contact our technical support team for this to be escalated.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. We would also appreciate it if you can keep us posted on this. 

Thanks,

Hi @Snrm0044.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for bringing this to our attention. This is an unusual case as the Sonos One Sl regardless of the name is very much compatible with the Sonos S2 app as you have verified. Allow me to share some information and recommendations.

Upon further research on our end shows that this was an issue in the past and has been already corrected by our engineers. However, It seems that your Sonos One SLs were not affected by the changes made. I would like to suggest contacting our technical support team for this issue to be escalated to our engineering team. The issue is now currently closed and has been declared resolved (which is not yet on your end). From What I can only speculate about this issue, the Sonos One SLs are either brand new or not yet up-to-date. Try checking for updates through the Sonos App if it would help. Otherwise, we may really need to contact our technical support team for this to be escalated.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. We would also appreciate it if you can keep us posted on this. 

Thanks,

Thanks Paul. Yes i was having some difficulty setting up the system initially. Had to resolve using an old android device for it to work. My iphone 12 and iPad pros would keep glitching out during the setup process. When I check for update on the iPad, i got an 1101 error. Then restarting the app shows no updates available. I also see no updates available on the iphone app and any android version of the Sonos app.