Answered

Changed router and network name, now Sonos can't find system

• 31 July 2019
  • 7 replies

This subject has been done to death with the usual NO ANSWERS from anyone - NOT EVEN SONOS! - to previous questions regarding the vague instructions and grayed out options and the redirects to the website to 'learn about a new set up' rather than the installer getting on with doing the new set up - I don't know of a more convoluted and unhelpful set-up with any app than this one.
Why is the installer all graded out?
why can't it find the speaker?
why can't they tell you what settings they need?
why can't it find the wifi?
why won't it just make a new connection and be done with it?
Why have we got to play for hours and hours making sense of a system that doesn't actually work very well?
and does even less by way of instructing users how to set it up if Sonos can't manage it for themselves -

Let's hope Sonos are never put in charge of the space program: 'Sorry we can't get your ship back to earth as we think the wifi has been changed, or is it the router? Sorry, can't find your speaker now, please continue to orbit indefinitely in cyberspace...'

Jeez, come on Sonos you've been going long enough now to have ironed out these schoolboy errors
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 31 July 2019, 22:27

That's interesting. I've seen dozens of threads with answers to this situation. Perhaps I'm reading in other areas than you are.

This is relatively simple. You've changed the SSID. The Sonos system is still looking for the old SSID, and not the new one. Since the Sonos system is actually existing on the speakers, and not actually in the remote control that is the controller app, you need to force a connection to one of the Sonos devices. The only way to connect at this point is to wire one of the Sonos devices to your router with an ethernet cable. If you do that, and wait 2 or 3 minutes, all of the Sonos devices will switch over to SonosNet, at which point they'll show up in your controller. You can then go in and change the wifi settings in the app, and the data will get communicated to all of the speakers. At that point, you can disconnect the ethernet cable, and all of your speakers will be connected to your current wifi.

This has been explained, by me, and dozens of others over and over, and over, and over.

Until you connect to one of your speakers with an ethernet cable, and tell it what to look for, it will continue to look for the data that you told it before.
View original

7 replies

The solution is really quite simple, but I don't help rude folks throwing temper tantrums. Good luck finding your way in the dark. Or maybe take a breath, stop with the insulting comments, and dial it back a few? Because there's only one person here who resembles a "schoolboy" and it's not Sonos.
That's interesting. I've seen dozens of threads with answers to this situation. Perhaps I'm reading in other areas than you are.

This is relatively simple. You've changed the SSID. The Sonos system is still looking for the old SSID, and not the new one. Since the Sonos system is actually existing on the speakers, and not actually in the remote control that is the controller app, you need to force a connection to one of the Sonos devices. The only way to connect at this point is to wire one of the Sonos devices to your router with an ethernet cable. If you do that, and wait 2 or 3 minutes, all of the Sonos devices will switch over to SonosNet, at which point they'll show up in your controller. You can then go in and change the wifi settings in the app, and the data will get communicated to all of the speakers. At that point, you can disconnect the ethernet cable, and all of your speakers will be connected to your current wifi.

This has been explained, by me, and dozens of others over and over, and over, and over.

Until you connect to one of your speakers with an ethernet cable, and tell it what to look for, it will continue to look for the data that you told it before.
well perhaps that worked for you but it doesn't work for others including me, I know what I'm doing with IT and a friend talked me into this, two hours on the phone with Sonos just because I changed my router and two of the six speakers still not on-line! its bad, nothing more, for an audiophile its definitely bad and technically via WiFI its nothing but a headache! I would never refer someone to this garbage.
I know what I'm doing with IT
Are you sure?
Some people should just stick to a radio.

Or 2 tin cans and a string.
Ok
i get it but my router is in my loft connected to my house with a deco7 mesh?
plugging a speaker into the local deco 7 is not doing it
why can I not see the new WiFi signal in settings and just connect via the password?
to be honest I think I will just sell the sonus equipment as I am obviously to old to understand the complexity of
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Ok
i get it but my router is in my loft connected to my house with a deco7 mesh?
plugging a speaker into the local deco 7 is not doing it

They may still be connected to the router before the deco7 mesh.
Unplug the previous router from power, the rest of the rooms should show up in the app.
Once they are all there - update your WiFi settings.

why can I not see the new WiFi signal in settings and just connect via the password?

Network issue most likely. Simplify the network. Make sure you're using different SSIDs (network names) on your routers. Most likely your mesh is plugged into a WiFi router from your ISP. If they both have the same SSID - that will cause issues.

to be honest I think I will just sell the sonus equipment as I am obviously to old to understand the complexity of

That works too.... or just educate yourself on the most basic understanding of how Sonos works and it wont be as frustrating or complex.