Answered

Changed Internet

• 11 November 2018
  • 4 replies

I have a Sonos sub, sonos sound bar, play 3, play 5, and 5 sonos ones. Recently we had internet problems so someone came and made changes to the network which made it so none of the speakers were connected anymore. They were all previously on the same network. The speakers are at my parents vacation home and I set them all up so they don't know how to do it, but I wont be able to go reset them for a few months. My question is, can I Just take one of the speakers, plug it into an Ethernet and connect it to the new internet then all other speakers will automatically connect or do I have to do it individually. A lot of the speakers I have the wiring fished through the wall to avoid loose cables and are mounted, so I would hate to have to remove all of them. If there is a solution with a quick fix to put all of my speakers on to the new internet, please let me know.
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 11 November 2018, 19:10

Keeping things as simple as possible.. switch off every sonos device, plug in one play:1 to the (new) main router.

Switch on the sonos speakers one at a time. Initially each speaker will look for the old internet connection first of all, then it will connect to the Play: 1’s SonosNet wireless signal, it may take a while, so be very patient... do each speaker one at a time.

Make sure the sonos controller device is obviously attached to the same network.

When you later goto the vacation home, simply enter the new WiFi setup credentials (case sensitive) in the sonos App 'Advanced Settings/Wireless Setup' and after a few minutes you can disconnect the Play:1 from the router (if you want to) and all will then work on the 'new WiFi setup' from that point onward.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Keeping things as simple as possible.. switch off every sonos device, plug in one play:1 to the (new) main router.

Switch on the sonos speakers one at a time. Initially each speaker will look for the old internet connection first of all, then it will connect to the Play: 1’s SonosNet wireless signal, it may take a while, so be very patient... do each speaker one at a time.

Make sure the sonos controller device is obviously attached to the same network.

When you later goto the vacation home, simply enter the new WiFi setup credentials (case sensitive) in the sonos App 'Advanced Settings/Wireless Setup' and after a few minutes you can disconnect the Play:1 from the router (if you want to) and all will then work on the 'new WiFi setup' from that point onward.
One more problem is that some of the speakers power plug in is located behind a 70 inch tv that is wall mounted high on the wall and almost impossible to unmount without 3 people due to height and you can’t reach your hand behind it. Is it 100% necessary to unplug each speaker and plug them in one by one ?
If you can’t pull the power at the actual plugs, then maybe try the main fuse for the ring-main that covers the relevant plugs in the room. There’s no other way without having access to their IP address on the local network.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I like these, if it sticks out too far just use an angle adapter to flip it 90 degrees.

https://smile.amazon.com/Woods-Indoor-Extension-Remote-Switch/dp/B000KKND86/ref=sr_1_83

There are a bunch of electronic options but this is simple.