Question

Center Channel AMP

• 11 September 2019
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I am so disappointed that Sonos has yet to create an Amp that has a real center channel. When they came out with the new AMP a few months ago, I was sure that they would get it right. But instead they gave us the "phantom" center channel which is still not the real deal.
I have very expensive speakers that match the design of my house and I don't want to part with them. This includes a center channel speaker. They are running thru a Denon AVR and a Sonos Connect.
I would much rather use just the Sonos ecosystem as it is a much better system and easier to use. Denon has gone way downhill on quality over the years, they are slow and a headache compared to Sonos.
But I cannot find any way or any hack to get the center channel so that I can set up a true 5.1 system for use with my TV.

Has anyone figured out any hack for this?

The best I could think of would be to get a dolby 5.1 decoder for $20 on eBay and then use 3 Connect:Amps with it.
One for L/R, one for RL/RR and the other one for Center using just one of its channels.
However I am sure that there will be a syncing issue between them all since sonos would not recognize that setup and it would treat them as different zones playing different content.

Any ideas?

Common Sonos, I have seen tons of people ask about this online.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Just to clarify one point, you can use an amp from FL/FR and a 2nd amp for RL/RR. Sonos supports this without using a DD 5.1 decoder.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Without a decoder, how would you get the 4 channels?
but regardless l, that doesn’t address the issue of the center channel.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi george99

What are you using the Connect:Amp for at this time?
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Nothing. I’m willing to buy them if I could get the setup that I wanted.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi georgeb99

As you are heavily invested in your speakers (with a center channel) I suggest you invest in another AVR that suits your needs. You can then continue using your current Sonos Connect or invest in the new Sonos Port which also supports Airplay2. The Port also has a 12v trigger to automatically power-up a connected device. Sonos isn't the best solution for every situation as your appears to be the case. Just a thought ☺
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I'm stuck with an AVR for the same reason, not willing to give up our center speaker.

Your Denon may let you switch to 4.1 (no center) mode and you could see how you like that, wouldn't be quite the same as the Sonos but close enough to try on for size.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Without a decoder, how would you get the 4 channels?
but regardless l, that doesn’t address the issue of the center channel.

One of the amps connects to the TV by HDMI-ARC or optical and receives the DD 5.1 It then sends the front channels to the speakers connected to it. The rear channels are wirelessly sent to Sonos speakers or a 2nd Sonos amp. The sub is of course wireless as well. There is no need for any separate decoder.

But yes, the center channel is phantom.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Thanks guys, but there still is no true center channel solution. As for getting the Port, I have the Connect, and it is monitored by my smartphone system that turns on/off my Denon AVR when the sonos plays, so I don't need the 12v trigger in the port.