Answered

ceiling speaker/AMP install

• 2 September 2022
  • 5 replies

Redoing my kitchen and I just found out that the Sonos Ceiling speakers I bought (really Sonance) need to be connected to the Sonos AMP. Can I hardwire my AMP and mount it into the ceiling? Has anyone done this?

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 2 September 2022, 17:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Those power cords that feed the Amp are unlikely to match local building codes to be hidden behind drywall. 

That being said, as long as your wifi signal can reach the Amp, it can be placed anywhere that it has power. I’d test first, just to be sure. 

Thanks Bruce, that is why I asked if I could hardwire it....  I like the idea of testing it...question there is, is it safe to mount the Amp between joists?

It’s not what it was designed for, but you’d be better off checking your local building codes. I wouldn’t do that, as while it’s not frequent, there have been times where I need to reach the buttons on the device. If it’s behind drywall, that makes it hard to reach. 

Why not wire the speakers to a kitchen cabinet?  Not sure what building practices are in your area, or what you’re specific design is, but seems pretty common to have an electrical outlets in the cabinet above the microwave (for the microwave) and certainly behind the refrigerator.  You could probably use one of those  for power, placing the amp in a discrete but well ventilated location and have speaker wires behind the walls and ceiling.

And that’s the point I didn’t hit on in my feedback….ventilation. The Amp can generate a lot of heat, depending on its use. It simply isn’t designed for complete enclosure. Hiding it in a ceiling, or behind a wall just isn’t what it is designed for.

Thanks, Danny.