Answered

Cannot have more than 1 speaker on my Sonos system

• 5 January 2019
  • 1 reply

I have had a Sonos One speaker for several months now and it's been working great!

For Christmas, I received an additional two Sonos One speakers so that I could have them in multiple rooms. However, I have not been able to add an additional speaker to my system. Each time I try, it gets stuck on the "Connecting...." screen before finally going to the "Failed to connect" screen.

I have tried to reset all speakers (including the original speaker) and I still have the same issue. It does not matter which one I set up first when trying to set up a new system. The first speaker will ALWAYS connect to my controller, but the other two will not. I can see them on my wifi and I can play music to the other two speakers through AirPlay, but the Sonos controller does not see them and will not control the other two speakers - the Sonos controller can only ever see the first speaker.

Has anyone experienced this before? I don't know why I'd be able to play through the speakers on AirPlay but Sonos would not be able to see them.
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 6 January 2019, 00:06

I think your best bet would be to contact Sonos to discuss it.

My initial reaction was that the devices weren't getting an IP address from your router, but then you said you could AirPlay 2 to them, which made that an invalid thought.

I'd try one thing, though. which isn't explicitly mentioned in your post. Try connecting the first (recognized) device to your router with an ethernet cable. Then plug in the other 2 speakers, and wait five minutes. Then open up the controller app, and see if all three speakers show up.

How sure are you that these speakers are new? I could potentially see this kind of behaviour in speakers that were already set up on someone elses' system, but since they were Christmas presents, that seems unlikely.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

I think your best bet would be to contact Sonos to discuss it.

My initial reaction was that the devices weren't getting an IP address from your router, but then you said you could AirPlay 2 to them, which made that an invalid thought.

I'd try one thing, though. which isn't explicitly mentioned in your post. Try connecting the first (recognized) device to your router with an ethernet cable. Then plug in the other 2 speakers, and wait five minutes. Then open up the controller app, and see if all three speakers show up.

How sure are you that these speakers are new? I could potentially see this kind of behaviour in speakers that were already set up on someone elses' system, but since they were Christmas presents, that seems unlikely.