Question

Cannot get NAS to work. Won’t index / volume vanishes

• 12 October 2019
  • 19 replies

Badge
I’ve got three Sonos Play1s which I have had for a few years and have been very happy with playing my music from my phone.

Now I need to find an alternative. I don’t want to leave my PC on and I don’t especially want to stream as our internet isn’t great.

So I’ve put all my music on a thumb drive and plugged into the back of the router.

Sonos app on my PC tries to index and then stops, or it throws up an error saying that the drive is no longer available.

I’ve tried connecting the drive via path, and via the IP of the router.

I had a Sonos technician connect to my system via TeamViewer for an hour yesterday with no success, and we came to the conclusion that the easiest solution was to buy a cheap Android device, put extra memory in, and use that. But it’s not really a solution.

Details

I’ve got about 14000 tracks. About 60GB of music. A large collection, but not especially excessive.
This is mainly classics, some has long track names/paths with non alphanumeric characters (performer in the album title etc all, add up). I’ve read different views on a 100 character limit on the path. I want to know which recording of an opera I’m playing etc so I can’t really edit them down.

I tested with 3 artists and about 20 albums and it all worked perfectly. But it refuses to see my entire music collection.

One speaker is wired to the router in an attempt to get things to work, and can easily remain wired.

Router is a D Link DSL 3782. I suspect a better router might help. But support have said that there is no reason the existing shouldn’t work.

What else can I try? Given that a Sonos technician connected to my system with full diagnostics available can’t solve it?

Many thanks.

19 replies

Sonos limits the amount of characters allotted for each field of the metadata. This is due to memory allocations for the 65,000 track limit.

Field Name Max Characters
Artists 76
Album 92
Track 100
Genre 22
File name 100

I don’t believe the above includes the path to the file, but one or two folders in the path should be okay.

Also see link below...

Supported Sonos Audio Formats
Badge
Sonos limits the amount of characters allotted for each field of the metadata. This is due to memory allocations for the 65,000 track limit.

Field Name Max Characters
Artists 76Album 92Track 100Genre 22File name 100

I don’t believe the above includes the path to the file, but one or two folders in the path should be okay.

Also see link below...

Supported Sonos Audio Formats

That is helpful. Thank you.

So if some of my files have too many characters, will this stop my entire library indexing? It would be helpful if the pc app could tell me when it hits a problem, rather than just stopping.
Yes, it will stop the indexing. I use a tag viewer/editor called MP3Tag to ensure my tag fields are within the above limits. I tend to remove the non-alphanumeric characters that I think might cause issues too. I personally embed the album art within my tracks 1000x1000 pixels, but most folk seem to use folder.jpg in the album folder instead, which I believe can provide higher resolution.
I agree it would be nice to know which track(s) are causing the indexing issue. I think Sonos Staff can see 'approximately' where the indexing errors occur, via a diagnostic submission, but if you have lots of errors, it’s perhaps easier to just go through the tags yourself in batches, perhaps by each Artist.
Badge
Yes, it will stop the indexing. I use a tag viewer/editor called MP3Tag to ensure my tag fields are within the above limits. I tend to remove the non-alphanumeric characters that I think might cause issues too. I personally embed the album art within my tracks 1000x1000 pixels, but most folk seem to use folder.jpg in the album folder instead, which I believe can provide higher resolution.

Thank you. This isn't being to be a fun job at all - as I've got umpteen albums like this Cantata #024 etc etc.

I'll test on a few artists and just do a few a day.
Badge

Now won't see the 128GB drive, which it was doing the other day. But it is playing music with non alphanumeric characters on a smaller drive.

Real progress!

Yes, it will stop the indexing.

With an error message?
Sounds like it’s ALSO an issue with the large drive. Are there any specific limitations as to the 'size of drive' that the router supports?

Anyhow I hope you get things sorted.👍
Badge

Yes, it will stop the indexing.

With an error message?

No error message.
Badge
Sounds like it’s ALSO an issue with the large drive. Are there any specific limitations as to the 'size of drive' that the router supports?

Anyhow I hope you get things sorted.👍Sounds like it’s ALSO an issue with the large drive. Are there any specific limitations as to the 'size of drive' that the router supports?

Anyhow I hope you get things sorted.👍

It could see it yesterday. And support were looking at it and didn't mention a problem with size drive and router. Hadn't occurred to me. I'll check!
A couple of things:

1. Not sure about this, but I think having fields longer than the max just means that more than one slot in the 65,000 track limit gets filled, rather than actually terminating the index. So you might hit the limit at 40,000 tracks, or 30,000 or whatever. I'd be surprised if that is the problem here.
  2. I think a proper NAS would be a better bet than an Android tablet if you cannot get this working. (A cheap Raspberry Pi option exists.) But it depends on what is really stopping the drive from working.
As I say, not totally confident in the above.
Badge
A couple of things:

1. Not sure about this, but I think having fields longer than the max just means that more than one slot in the 65,000 track limit gets filled, rather than actually terminating the index. So you might hit the limit at 40,000 tracks, or 30,000 or whatever. I'd be surprised if that is the problem here.
  2. I think a proper NAS would be a better bet than an Android tablet if you cannot get this working. (A cheap Raspberry Pi option exists.) But it depends on what is really stopping the drive from working.
As I say, not totally confident in the above.

thanks for responding.

I've a feeling it is the router as it suddenly loses connection and drops and says the drive isn't available, and we lose internet (or it dramatically slows down). Then it comes back.

I've reached out to DLink to ask them if there is a limit, the data sheet for the router doesn't mention one.
Do you have a computer to which you could copy the files? Then you could see if they will index from there.
Badge
Do you have a computer to which you could copy the files? Then you could see if they will index from there.

I can try and index the HDD attached to my PC - if that works I then know it is a router or drive issue. Thank you

Do you have a computer to which you could copy the files? Then you could see if they will index from there.I can try and index the HDD attached to my PC - if that works I then know it is a router or drive issue. Thank you

That's what I was thinking. It will be interesting to hear how it goes.
Badge

Do you have a computer to which you could copy the files? Then you could see if they will index from there.I can try and index the HDD attached to my PC - if that works I then know it is a router or drive issue. Thank you
That's what I was thinking. It will be interesting to hear how it goes.

success. It has indexed and will play from the external hard drive attached to my PC.

Next to see if it will index and play from the flash drive with the same data when it is attached to the computer. Then I can blame the router or router settings.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If it will play from the drive on your PC you could get an inexpensive Raspberry Pi to use as a server. A Pi Zero W will work over WiFi or a Pi 3 or 4 if you want wired. Any Pi aside from the early (low RAM) original Pi will have no problem serving up multiple music streams.

I put my how-to notes here if you go that way, cheaper than using a NAS device.

https://stan-miller.livejournal.com/
Badge
If it will play from the drive on your PC you could get an inexpensive Raspberry Pi to use as a server. A Pi Zero W will work over WiFi or a Pi 3 or 4 if you want wired. Any Pi aside from the early (low RAM) original Pi will have no problem serving up multiple music streams.

I put my how-to notes here if you go that way, cheaper than using a NAS device.

https://stan-miller.livejournal.com/

thank you. I’m sure I want to get involved with a raspberry pi. It shouldn’t be this complicated and I should just be able to plug in a memory stick and play.
Badge
I’ve narrowed it down to the router, I think.

music on the flash drive indexes and plays perfectly when plugged into my PC.

now to check the router specs.