Answered

Can you setup Symfonisk without Location Services?

• 10 September 2022
  • 4 replies

I bought a Symfonisk from IKEA and was stunned to see the setup process asking for activating location services. Especially when it already connects to the device through bluetooth.

I’ve already filed for a return but if there’s a way to do the setup without location services I’d cancel it…

That’s a shame that they make it compulsory; I have only one device and it makes no technical sense at all.

Tere

icon

Best answer by John B 10 September 2022, 10:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

The official blurb says:

“Location access is required to detect your nearby speakers during setup and your mobile device’s WiFi network information. Gathering the approximate location of your Sonos system allows us to auto-populate your registration postal code and predetermine the radio locale for your system so it is configured as soon as you are done setting up your system.”

It is also needed to determine which services (music or voice control) you are allowed to connect to, as these normally have geographical restrictions.

Sonos’ privacy policy is on their website.

I love my Sonos system and I am comfortable with all this.  You aren’t, which is a valid different view, but it means you won’t get to enjoy Sonos, which is a shame.

That’s a shame. I neither listen to radio nor plan to use any of Sonos’ services. I just want a nice-looking and great-sounding lamp. But i can’t because sonos want to sell my personal data and needs a minimum info in order to be able to do so. I don’t agree with that indeed...

On what do you base your assertion that Sonos want to sell your personal data?  No, actually I don’t care and I can’t speak for Sonos.  Maybe a Sonos staff member will choose to respond to your statement.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

That’s a shame. I neither listen to radio nor plan to use any of Sonos’ services. I just want a nice-looking and great-sounding lamp. But i can’t because sonos want to sell my personal data and needs a minimum info in order to be able to do so. I don’t agree with that indeed...

It’s a long time since I created my account to contribute to these forums and to use my system, and I too enjoy the system too much to fuss about it. But I’m sure there was some info you had to give out, even to join these forums and post your comments. Would you really need to reveal so much more to Sonos to use the products? And if you read the Privacy statements, https://www.sonos.com/en-us/legal/privacy#legal-privacy-share-info-container the data collected is not to sell to any third party. As @John B says, I’m sure Sonos staff will comment soon…