Answered

Can the Homepod, Play:1, and Beam all sync up?

• 5 September 2018
  • 3 replies

Hello and thanks ahead of time to anyone who is willing to take a shot at this. This may have been answered already and I apologize if I missed it but I simply cannot find a straightforward solution (if one exists).

So here is my situation. I currently own two Play:1s and a HomePod. We're an Apple ecosystem family so I would like to get them all synced up so that when I ask the HomePod to play something via Apple Music, it will also do it simultaneously via the two Play:1s. While I know that the two Sonos speakers are not Airplay 2 compatible, initially I thought that the Beam could be the bridge to accomplish this. However, a friend of mine told me that it cannot be done.

Could someone please let me know if that is actually the case?

Again, thanks for your help!
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 5 September 2018, 21:33

It can be done, two step are required.

- group your play:1s with the beam using the Sonos app.
- using airplay 2 (I believe it needs to be done through your phone or tablet) stream to both the beam and the homepod at the same time.

You can do the steps in any order really. Everything should play in sync, but syncing between different brand systems is difficult, so it may not be a satisfactory sync. Also, you're streaming through your phone, and then to the speakers. If you remove the phone from the network, you'll lose the stream.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
It can be done, two step are required.

- group your play:1s with the beam using the Sonos app.
- using airplay 2 (I believe it needs to be done through your phone or tablet) stream to both the beam and the homepod at the same time.

You can do the steps in any order really. Everything should play in sync, but syncing between different brand systems is difficult, so it may not be a satisfactory sync. Also, you're streaming through your phone, and then to the speakers. If you remove the phone from the network, you'll lose the stream.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Your probably not going to have good sync between the Apple Homepod and the Sonos units (Beam and play:1s). The Sonos units will be in sync but the homepod won't maintain an exact sync with the Sonos units.

If the homepod is in a different room and you have them all playing probably would work fine.
Thanks to the both of you. Hopefully one day but with Apple the way it is, probably not.