Answered

Can't connect vintage amp + Vinyl player to Port

Hey, I need some advice on how to connect my vintage record player and Pioneer amp (and attached bookshelf speakers) to my new Port. My hope is to be able to play vinyls through current speaker system, but also broadcast to other rooms (e.g. my Beam which is other room). But I also want to be able to play music from Spotify etc, through my vintage system via the Port. 

I can easily enough do the latter by simply connecting the Port ‘Out’ to the Aux in on my Stereo, and selecting AUX on the front of the amp. However, when I connect the vinyl into the photo port, and try to send the signal to the Port (IN) via REC/TAPE outs on back of amp, I’m not having any love at all. Actually my speaker or line in isn’t even showing in the app. 

Does anyone have a suggestion of how I’d set this up based on the images of what I’m working with? It could actually be an issue with my stereo REC/TAPE out that I’m not aware of. Also I assume I’ll always need to manually switch between Phono and Aux depending on whether I’m playing vinyls or streaming digital music? Thanks for the advice. 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 2 June 2022, 07:26

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7

Connect the turntable to the PHONO input on the amplifier. Connect TAPE REC to audio IN on the Port. Connect TAPE PB to analog audio OUT on the Port. Set Tap Monitor switch to ON and Function knob to PHONO.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

“Actually my speaker or line in isn’t even showing in the app. “

For the old Connect the line-in did not show in the app unless there was something physically plugged into the Connect input sockets. The same may be true of the Port.

“Actually my speaker or line in isn’t even showing in the app. “

For the old Connect the line-in did not show in the app unless there was something physically plugged into the Connect input sockets. The same may be true of the Port.

In the case of the Connect a line-in option showed as a source just by having cables in the line-in, irrespective of whether a device was attached.  Same is probably true of the Port, but I am not sure about that.  

I can’t quite get my head round which input source you would pick on the amplifier - Phono or Aux?  Nor can I totally persuade myself that this setup would allow the amp and the Sonos speakers elsewhere to sync when playing vinyl.

But that is probably me being dim.  If all else fails, an approach that would work, albeit at an extra cost, would be Port output to Aux input, turntable to external phono pre-amp (the extra cost) to line in on Port.  Like I say, this may not be needed.

I can’t quite get my head round which input source you would pick on the amplifier - Phono or Aux?  Nor can I totally persuade myself that this setup would allow the amp and the Sonos speakers elsewhere to sync when playing vinyl.

I too puzzled over this before moving on! As to the speakers being in sync, turning on the tape monitor is what pulls off this trick; indeed toggling it back and forth should demonstrate by moving them in and out of sync. This monitor switch is a disappearing feature and rarely seen on modern amps. Turns out to be just the thing to address the Sonos sync issue long after the tape decks it is meant for have disappeared.

Thanks Kumar!

Having similar issue. New Port and inceiling Sonos speakers installed with NAD amp. Connected as recommended but no sound. Plays out of my Playbar despite changing “rooms”. Any ideas?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The Port has an analogue out as well as being able to play to the Sonos system, in you case the Arc. What happens when you do not set the Port to automatically play to the Arc and set your receiver to the right connection (tape if you've connected it as above)?

I am simply trying to use the Port powered by the NAD amp to steam music from existing Sonos playlist. I connected the Line Out of the Port to AUX and when I begin to stream music via the Sonos amp after selecting the new room it only plays from the old room or Sonos Playbar.

NVM. Figured it out. Grouped and adjusted the volume. Now on to connecting a turn table

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I hope you succeeded in connecting the turntable.

You can also tell the Port to play sources on it’s own. It does not need to be grouped.

Choose the Poty from the "Bar chart” in the middel below on your screen; then choose the source by tapping the musical note.

Attach PORT as it is a 3-head cassette deck. You will then “record” (send to PORT) sources connected to the audio unit and “monitor”  the PORT. Similar to monitoring a 3-head cassette deck while recording, there will be a slight time latency between input to PORT and output through “monitor”. You will encounter this latency if you directly play through the audio unit and listen to output from a SONOS player. The solution is to pretend that you are recording on PORT, then “monitor” PORT’s output through the audio unit.

Attach PORT as it is a 3-head cassette deck. You will then “record” (send to PORT) sources connected to the audio unit and “monitor”  the PORT. Similar to monitoring a 3-head cassette deck while recording, there will be a slight time latency between input to PORT and output through “monitor”. 

For modern readers: the quoted is possible only if the amp offers this feature, as the vintage amp of the OP does. Many modern amps do not even offer line out signals, let alone a subsequent tape loop with the monitor function. Which is another good reason to hold on to the old amps and not replace with the latest, that in any case will not offer anything more by way of sound quality.

It’s interesting. For many people, elimination of the Tape Monitor function has been a major improvement in usability. Countless support calls were caused by someone accidentally selecting “Monitor” -- causing the system to go silent.

Who said phone based tech support was easy?!

Interesting to me is the fact that a feature whose reason for existence disappeared with tape decks is now useful to get Sonos speakers to play in perfect sync with those wired to the amp. But that is not enough to get this feature back to amps of today.