Can't configure Samsung remote to work with new Ray

Just got my Ray, and hooked it up to a fairly modern Samsung TV via optical connection (

Model Number : UN50J6200AFXZA

). However, I cannot configure the Samsung RF remote to use the volume buttons to control the Ray. I followed the guidance via the mobile app to add the Ray as a Home Theater device etc.

The guidance says to “go back to the Universal Remote setup menu and select one of the other input devices you’ve added, like a cable box or Blu-ray player. Select the other input devices and choose Use with Home Theater. Do this for all of your active inputs.”

Are there any Samsung owners out here with the same issue

MVSV 1 year ago

I actually got the Ray to set-up with my 2022 65” Samsung Frame after several days of trying.  I just wanted to give an update to let you know what worked for me.  

I first turned my Ray upside down to make sure that the signal from remote got to Ray.  In the Sonos app I actually had set-up as an IR remote turned off.  I followed the directions in this link exactly:  https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3444?language=en_US.  When I got to step 6 in set-up I hit done anyways even though the Ray was still not responding to the remote.  I went back in to set up another device as it stated in step 7, but ended up backing out of the set-up process when it got to selecting the brand because I thought there is no way this remote is going to work.  After, that I remembered I had not turned IR on in the Sonos app and went back in and turned it on and sure enough it worked.  I have the Ray sitting on our dresser underneath the television.  At set-up I had the frame box sitting next to the Ray and it worked perfectly from any angle or distance.  When i tried to hide the Frame box behind the dresser again the signals to the Ray were not working.  As soon as I moved the box next to the Ray again it worked again.  Hope this helps someone!

Yes you are correct on this setup. Here’s whats happening.

The Samsung Frame has a One connect box. On the end where the USB port is, there is an IR emitter hidden inside the vents. You can see it flash IR with your camera on your phone as you press volume up or down once you have added a device to the Samsung Universal remote section. This will be a line of sight control to the Ray. then go into Sonos and do the TV remote setup with IR ON.

If you cannot place the One Connect box near the Ray, add a simple IR repeater to this setup and you’ll be good.

View original

38 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

The Ray does not have an HDMI connection to the one connect box. Optical only.  Which means the Samsung remote is indeed transmitting IR to the Ray to control volume. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Great it kind of works for your friend now, but your post does not make much sense to me, especially reading the rest of this thread.

“Also the Samsung remote has a limited range. It works up to about 12 feet or so away.”

In my experience the Samsung bluetooth remote works from a lot further away. Could it be a wonky battery?

”Any further and the Ray does not register volume changes.”

If, as I read above, the bluetooth remote sends a signal to the TV, that, depending on the model, either sends an ir-signal itself or has the Connect box send an ir-signal, it’s not the Ray that receives the signal from the remote. In this case it’s always only the distance between TV (Connect box) and Ray that counts, not the distance between remote and Ray.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

@ebnmn 

Turns out the seasons on the Sonos was obscured (it’s not idea but this friend wanted in a bookshelf above the tv). Also the Samsung remote has a limited range. It works up to about 12 feet or so away. Any further and the Ray does not register volume changes.  It’s still a bit wonky but general works the way my friend wants now. One small remote to control everything.  She doesn’t use a cable box but an app from her cable company to stream  sports.  Everything else is through a streaming app. 

I have a similar issue trying to get volume control to my new SONOS Ray soundbar using the Samsung remote for a new 55” Frame TV.  The Ray soundbar doesn’t get the signal from the Samsung remote for vol +/- because Ray only accepts IR signals, while the Samsung Frame TV/remote only transmits RF. I haven’t figured out a way to get the Samsung TV to change to IR.

This is because I’m not using a cable or sattelite box. Instead, I’m streaming via YouTubeTV.  So when I try to set up the universal remote within the Samsung Frame menu, I’m unable to set up a cable or sattelite box first before setting up the Ray soundbar (as the SONOS instructions suggest).  As a result, I’m only able to set up the “Home theater” soundbar (via optical).  The result is that my Frame TV recognizes vol +/- when accessed via the Samsung remote (displaying an overlay on screen), but the sound doesn’t change on the soundbar (because the Ray doesn’t detect the RF signal from the remote)

I haven’t been able to find a solution that allows me to switch the Samsung Frame TV to IR if I’m not using a cable or sattelite box. 

Anyone have any suggestions??  PLEASE HELP!!!

Thx, ebnmn

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Im helping a friend set up her new Samsung Frame TV and her Sonos Ray plus 2 Ones and a Sub mini and the remote issue is a huge PITA. Ive followed every solution I’ve seen on this thread and still the remote will not control the volume and the only way to do it is to use the app.  Definitely not what this friend wants to deal with to change the volume after she spent almost $4K on all this equipment.

Are we sure the Samsung Frame remotes don't emit IR?  It has a black end on it and some sort of weird clear panel on the bottom with a copper colored motel rectangle. Having the One Connect boxes emit the signals would be really stupid on Samsung’s part.  The whole point of these expensive Frame TVs is the box gets tucked away in a cabinet to hide the electronics. Telling people they need to leave the one connect boxes out and exposed to a sounder would negate that feature.

Hello all, sorry if my description is not exact but I SOLVED, I have a Samsung tv frame 55”, the box of the tv is occult in a cabinet and my Sonos ray model s36 is avode the tv stand, the remote control uses RF, not IR but any occasions IR works, work to control volume to my Sonos ray. 

following next steps

1. in your remote control touch the home button
  2. in the menu, select source 
  3. navigate until finding config universal remote control
  4. select new 
  5. home theater
  6. Sonos brand
  7. optical audio uoput
  8. the following is a power on test, it is an iteration between the codes that samsung has to test and try to control my sound bar, but the IR signal is sent from the Samsung box, so as we have seen this would not work but my solution was to launch the test, select yes when it asks me if the test worked, and then test if the volume up and down keys already work with my control, if it doesn't work I do the steps again until I'm back in power on test and select and try the next one.

It worked for me in the second iteration

This option works for my Samsung. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

No, but it needs to be near it. In my case, where I was until recently using the ir signal from the One Connect box to command my settop box, both devices where next to each other in the same compartment of the TV cabinet. If this is not possible, an ir repeater could do the tric.

I actually got the Ray to set-up with my 2022 65” Samsung Frame after several days of trying.  I just wanted to give an update to let you know what worked for me.  

I first turned my Ray upside down to make sure that the signal from remote got to Ray.  In the Sonos app I actually had set-up as an IR remote turned off.  I followed the directions in this link exactly:  https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3444?language=en_US.  When I got to step 6 in set-up I hit done anyways even though the Ray was still not responding to the remote.  I went back in to set up another device as it stated in step 7, but ended up backing out of the set-up process when it got to selecting the brand because I thought there is no way this remote is going to work.  After, that I remembered I had not turned IR on in the Sonos app and went back in and turned it on and sure enough it worked.  I have the Ray sitting on our dresser underneath the television.  At set-up I had the frame box sitting next to the Ray and it worked perfectly from any angle or distance.  When i tried to hide the Frame box behind the dresser again the signals to the Ray were not working.  As soon as I moved the box next to the Ray again it worked again.  Hope this helps someone!

The Samsung Frame has a One connect box. On the end where the USB port is, there is an IR emitter hidden inside the vents. You can see it flash IR with your camera on your phone as you press volume up or down once you have added a device to the Samsung Universal remote section. This will be a line of sight control to the Ray. then go into Sonos and do the TV remote setup with IR ON.

If you cannot place the One Connect box near the Ray, add a simple IR repeater to this setup and you’ll be good.

So are you saying that you either need to (a) have the One Connect box in front of the Ray or (b) use and IR Repeater?

Tried both and Imindiola’s solution is easiest.

Also found it described here:

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/where-is-the-infrared-remote-sensor-located-in-the-one-connect/td-p/1120867/page/2

Add via Sonos App and add via Samsung Universal Remote in settings as above.  Select “No” to first power test and “Yes” to the second (even though the power test doesn't seem to work).

Thank you! After a couple of frustrating hours, this is the only thing that worked for me. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

There’s need to shout at us. And this topic is about the Ray, not the Arc, that uses a different interface to receive remote commands.

GO TO UNIVERSAL REMOTE SETTINGS ON YOUR SAMSUNG TV AND SET UP “HOME THEATER SYSTEM” SELECT SONOS AS THE BRAND AND THE SONOS ARC WILL WORK!!!!

Tried both and Imindiola’s solution is easiest.

Also found it described here:

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/where-is-the-infrared-remote-sensor-located-in-the-one-connect/td-p/1120867/page/2

Add via Sonos App and add via Samsung Universal Remote in settings as above.  Select “No” to first power test and “Yes” to the second (even though the power test doesn't seem to work).

Hello all, sorry if my description is not exact but I SOLVED, I have a Samsung tv frame 55”, the box of the tv is occult in a cabinet and my Sonos ray model s36 is avode the tv stand, the remote control uses RF, not IR but any occasions IR works, work to control volume to my Sonos ray. 

following next steps

1. in your remote control touch the home button
  2. in the menu, select source 
  3. navigate until finding config universal remote control
  4. select new 
  5. home theater
  6. Sonos brand
  7. optical audio uoput
  8. the following is a power on test, it is an iteration between the codes that samsung has to test and try to control my sound bar, but the IR signal is sent from the Samsung box, so as we have seen this would not work but my solution was to launch the test, select yes when it asks me if the test worked, and then test if the volume up and down keys already work with my control, if it doesn't work I do the steps again until I'm back in power on test and select and try the next one.

It worked for me in the second iteration

SOLVED:  Solution described above in pieces, only caveat when volume up or down is pressed on the Samsung remote the IR signal does not come from the actual remote to the Sonos box.  The remote triggers the One connect box which is typically buried out of sight to emit the IR signal to the Sonos ray.  So the only solution is to buy an IR Repeater on Amazon.  The IR sensor will sit behind the One connect box facing the vents and the emitter is placed directly under the Sonos logo on ray.   

The optical audio only as opposed to the ARC HDMi creates this need for a workaround.

@drshanahan

Finally somebody being able to explain what Samsung cannot clearly document of their own products. That part where you explained the IR emitter is embedded in the Samsung One Box as opposed to the remote transmitting IR is the real issue. You have to re-read or almost read between lines in the Samsung box documentation because most information is focused on eARC and CEC where you do not need IR. Also Sonos should warn Samsung Frame users about this for the specific case of Ray and using optical only!

It makes sense for Frame users where you have the one box hidden and sitting side by side with other components like your cable box or blue ray player. The Sonos soundbar will never be hidden so the fact that the IR is in the box and not in the remote is the downside!

Many thanks, you cut mounting frustration and potential return of the Sonos Ray. Even tough the Samsung remote is the issue I will not return my Samsung Frame just because of the remote not having IR. 

Forgot to credit @MVSV for the help with the solution too!

SOLVED:  Solution described above in pieces, only caveat when volume up or down is pressed on the Samsung remote the IR signal does not come from the actual remote to the Sonos box.  The remote triggers the One connect box which is typically buried out of sight to emit the IR signal to the Sonos ray.  So the only solution is to buy an IR Repeater on Amazon.  The IR sensor will sit behind the One connect box facing the vents and the emitter is placed directly under the Sonos logo on ray.   

The optical audio only as opposed to the ARC HDMi creates this need for a workaround.

@drshanahan 

Finally somebody being able to explain what Samsung cannot clearly document of their own products. That part where you explained the IR emitter is embedded in the Samsung One Box as opposed to the remote transmitting IR is the real issue. You have to re-read or almost read between lines in the Samsung box documentation because most information is focused on eARC and CEC where you do not need IR. Also Sonos should warn Samsung Frame users about this for the specific case of Ray and using optical only!

It makes sense for Frame users where you have the one box hidden and sitting side by side with other components like your cable box or blue ray player. The Sonos soundbar will never be hidden so the fact that the IR is in the box and not in the remote is the downside!

Many thanks, you cut mounting frustration and potential return of the Sonos Ray. Even tough the Samsung remote is the issue I will not return my Samsung Frame just because of the remote not having IR. 

@drshanahan,

I’m quite lucky as my LG magic remote works fine with the Ray/Surrounds/Sub in the Kitchen/Diner, but admittedly I’m slightly surprised that HDMI-ARC was not its default connection, particularly as Sonos make/sell an Optical-to-HDMI adapter. Even the smaller 24” LG TV’s come with an ARC port connection these days. I guess that it will be something that will come with the Ray (gen2) in a few years time. 

Anyhow, I’ve been impressed with the Ray/Surround audio quality and have recently added the Sub-Mini to the room and that has taken the setup to a whole new level - I’m really pleased with the ‘mini’ Home Theatre. It’s absolutely ideal for our Kitchen/Diner area.

This worked for me on a newer Samsung TV. Thank you! Essentially I turned off the ‘Use IR’ tab in the Sonos App BEFORE going through the process of setting up the Universal Remote in the Samsung TV settings, via the link you provided: support.sonos.com/s/article/3444?language=en_US

Similar to you, I went ahead and started to set up a new device (my Xbox), then backed out. I then toggled ON the ‘Use IR’ tab on the Sonos App, then went ahead and completed the ‘Remove Control Setup’ and the process worked. Now I need to figure out how to have the ‘Sonos (Optical)’ pop up not show up every time I change the volume.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

So this is a "line of sight” issue?

@PlanetM8M 
I agree with @106rallye, the enabling of ARC/eARC will not make an RF TV remote work with the Ray when the TV itself is connected to optical - the Ray needs an IR remote to control its volume and there’s no getting around that fact - but note any IR remote will do the job of controlling the volume in most cases, and a good many RF remotes do have IR too such as the LG magic remote, for example, so perhaps check with your TV manufacturer to see what they can perhaps suggest.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I have a theory on a potential solve with 2 caveats… A) I am NOT a professional, B) I have no incentive (financial or otherwise) from this post. 

Ray only supports Optical Out for audio, so while your TV may be HDMI ARC compatible, Ray is not… this I believe might be the issue to solve for. 

ARC (Audio Return Channel) or the more advanced eARC allows for 2-way audio flow between TV & soundbar and furthermore unified volume control.

The solve may be an additional accessory called an “HDMI ARC Audio Extractor with Digital HDMI Optical SPDIF” which can be found on Amazon here- https://a.co/d/bCLFYrG.

Haven’t tried yet as this is a working theory, but am ordering today so fingers crossed!

Just read this. I do not think this is a solution for the remote not commanding the soundbar. Yes, the commands with an HDMI-ARC capable TV and soundbar are passed through the cable, but only when using an HDMI cable for the whole signal path. The optical cable is not capable of relaying commands from a remote. The Ray needs an optical cable, so needs a signal from the remote itself.

Is the remote a ‘smart’ remote, that doesn’t communicate to the TV via IR normally?

This might be a similar issue that many had with the PLAYBAR, in which you need to tell your remote to use IR rather than some other form of communication. Check the TV’s manual for these instructions.

Hi. I have got the same issue. Has anyone had any success? 
Thanks