Answered

Can not access music files on external drive attached to router

• 11 May 2019
  • 9 replies

I have my music files (and others) on an external hard drive (ED) which is attached to my router. I have tried to add this folder to my music library but I get an error message saying that "Sonos is unable to add the music folder". This is new - I previously had an NAS attached to the same router and could log that, however the NAS failed and I replaced it with an ED. That ED failed so has been replaced. Now I can not access the drive. I can correctly find the network/router/folder using the browse function in the setup process and there is no username/password needed so I don't know why it does not now work, as it did before. Any help much appreciated.
icon

Best answer by ratty 11 May 2019, 18:15

So, to be clear, you've used the exact same router with a different USB drive successfully with Sonos? If that's the case I would start to suspect the formatting (NTFS/FAT/etc) on the replacement drive could be a factor. Does it differ from the old drive?
View original

9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3
If you can see the folder it might be that the drive does not have SMB v1 enabled, Sonos needs SMB v1 enabled for it to connect. You don't specify make of drive and router which might be helpful.
Badge +1
Hi GSatt, it would be indeed useful to disclose the brand, model and firmware version of your router to check if any file sharing issues have been reported. Personally, I avoid using the router media sharing features for performance reasons and prefer to use a NAS, in particular if your music library is quite big (e.g. over 10k files).
If you can see the folder it might be that the drive does not have SMB v1 enabled, Sonos needs SMB v1 enabled for it to connect. You don't specify make of drive and router which might be helpful.

Thanks for replying. The HD is a WD My Passport and the router is Linksys 15044. I don't know how to enable/disable SMB v1 although when I did a quick look around it appears that we should disable SMB v1, for security reasons. Why is Sonos using something that people seem now to think is a risk?
Hi GSatt, it would be indeed useful to disclose the brand, model and firmware version of your router to check if any file sharing issues have been reported. Personally, I avoid using the router media sharing features for performance reasons and prefer to use a NAS, in particular if your music library is quite big (e.g. over 10k files).

Hi el rubio, thanks for your time and reply. See my earlier reply for the HD and router information (firmware is 1.1.5.190349) and I have checked the settings for the router, which are fine. I'm definitely a novice so this may seem lame, but an NAS connected to the router is still just storage that is making media available over the local network, isn't it? That's what I want and it did work before; but now not.
So, to be clear, you've used the exact same router with a different USB drive successfully with Sonos? If that's the case I would start to suspect the formatting (NTFS/FAT/etc) on the replacement drive could be a factor. Does it differ from the old drive?
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Some clarity would help. A quick search on the Linksys site does not show a model designated 15044, can you confirm that the previous drive was NAS and the new one is USB.
There are several threads on SMB v1 e.g https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/support-for-smb-v2-or-v3-6787081/index5.html but the bottom line is Sonos requires it.
Hi Ralpfocus, thanks, my mistake, when I set up the router the name it gave the wifi was Linksys15044 and that's what I always think of it as. The model is actually EA7500. I previously had and NAS, which died after less than a year and then tried with a 2TB Seagate backup plus which also worked. Now here's the thing; ratty gave me pause for thought and I realized that the new drive (the third drive I've connected to the router) is a 4TB WD 'my passport' and that's the one which doesn't work. So I have copied the music files to a new Seagate backup plus 2TB to see what happens. As I write the Sonos Music Library has successfully been updated, to include the Seagate backup plus2TB. I still have no idea why the WD drive won't work, but I have my music back. Thank you everyone, especially 'ratty' for the hint that set me straight.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Glad it's working.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The 4TB drive may be formatted differently because of its capacity. Some of the older and more compatible file systems had capacity limits, and today's newer drives blow past those limits, so they're formatted with newer file systems that can handle the greater capacity. It may be that it's formatted with one of those newer file systems and isn't compatible with the Linksys router you have.