Question

Can I share a Boost across S1 and S2 systems

• 7 May 2020
  • 8 replies

Badge

When the S2 app is launched. if I want to split my legacy products onto the S1 app. could i use the same boost or would that be obsolete on S1 app as will have the s2 firmware updates?

Would I then have to dig out my old bridge to run the legacy products?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Since the software isn’t released, this is speculation, but it would be hard to imagine that a single device (of any type), could be connected to both S1 and S2 systems at the same time. I’d think you’d need to either connect a speaker to your router for one or the other. I would not ever recommend digging out an old BRIDGE. You could use a second BOOST, though, if you needed to. 

But it’s an interesting question, since the device is only forwarding data, and isn’t actually doing much processing. But i’d bet it needs to be part of the system it’s connected to, and that can’t happen to two different systems at the same time. 

We’ll see when Sonos releases more information on the split. Hopefully soon. 

Badge

Thanks Mark_124 for asking that question. I was just about to ask the same thing. My Boost is the only product connected directly to my Router and my plan is to split my sys into S1 & S2 cause I have a mix of old and new comp’s. I was wondering how the Boost was going to work. 

I have a similar query to this, has anyone managed to do this since the update ?

I currently have my beam hardwired to my router to create the sonosnet for my full system.

When I upgrade to S2 my beam and all compatible speakers will move to this, however, I need to understand what I need to do to be able to control the 2 legacy Play5s that will still be on S1. Will I also need to connect a bridge or one of the Play5s to the router to create a mesh network on S1 ?

I have a similar query to this, has anyone managed to do this since the update ?

I currently have my beam hardwired to my router to create the sonosnet for my full system.

When I upgrade to S2 my beam and all compatible speakers will move to this, however, I need to understand what I need to do to be able to control the 2 legacy Play5s that will still be on S1. Will I also need to connect a bridge or one of the Play5s to the router to create a mesh network on S1 ?

The Play:5/gen1 units will need to be removed from the system for it to move to S2. The product removal tool in the S1 controller will reset them to factory settings. You can then set the P5s up as a new S1 system.

Your choice would be to wire a device to the network -- one of the Play:5s or, say, a Bridge -- or to configure them to connect directly to your router’s WiFi. As a first step I suggest you try the latter.

Badge

I have a similar question. I have a bridge and a gen1 play5 (both only S1 compatible) and a number of play1’s that are S2 compatible.  My question is can I run the bridge and play5 on S1 - and then get a Boost to run the play1’s on S2?  It’s not convient to have any of my speakers directly connected to the router. Can S1 and S2 run on the same sonosnet?

I have a similar question. I have a bridge and a gen1 play5 (both only S1 compatible) and a number of play1’s that are S2 compatible.  My question is can I run the bridge and play5 on S1 - and then get a Boost to run the play1’s on S2?  It’s not convient to have any of my speakers directly connected to the router. Can S1 and S2 run on the same sonosnet?

If you wired a device from the S2 system it would set up its own SonosNet mesh, separate from the S1 SonosNet. They’d have independently controllable wireless channels. They’d still be on the same network however.

Instead of wiring an S2 device you could try configuring that system to use the router’s WiFi.

Badge

OK - thanks. I’ll set up S2 for standard WIFI and see how it goes

@ratty may I ask how you access the product removal tool in the S1 controller?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Cal