Answered

Can I put my all(12) Sonos Connect's to rack cabine?

I want to set up 12 zone system with 12 Sonos Connect and external amplifiers. I just want to be sure that can i put all my Sonos Connect's to rack cabine or I must put them on each zones?
Note: I will not use local input of Sonos Connect
icon

Best answer by MikeV 14 May 2018, 01:53

Yes, they can all go in a rack.

You'll need to wire a least two, and you could daisy chain five additional off of those two each. However, I'd recommend wiring each Connect to a switch, and wire that switch to your router. PLEASE do what you can to make sure it's an unmanaged switch, for ease of setup (managed switches often block the kind of packet that Sonos needs to send unless they're properly configured). Also, make sure it's not on the incompatible hardware list.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Doesn't matter - probably more future proof to run everything back to one cabinet.

You have too many speakers to utilize connect:Amps?
Yes, in every zone i have 2 or 4 speaker. But i could not understand your answer, could i put 12 Sonos Connect to the rack cabine or not?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes you can put I rack.

My question is why are you using connects attached to amps instead of the all in one Connect:amp
Power of Sonos amp was not enough for speakers.
And my another question is how my phone send command to sonos connect if it will be very far from my phone? (If my sonos connect will pluged wired in rack cabine)
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
with that many connects you need to Ethernet wire them (at least one but since all together imagine you would wire all Ethernet.

Then you communicate with them via your home WiFi that is in same router as the Ethernet connection.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Yes, they can all go in a rack.

You'll need to wire a least two, and you could daisy chain five additional off of those two each. However, I'd recommend wiring each Connect to a switch, and wire that switch to your router. PLEASE do what you can to make sure it's an unmanaged switch, for ease of setup (managed switches often block the kind of packet that Sonos needs to send unless they're properly configured). Also, make sure it's not on the incompatible hardware list.
Thank you Mike and Chris. I get my answer.
I put a switch into the rack. And wired all the Sonos connect to it.
But to be unmanaged switch and wiring it to router were tips that i needed.
You'll need to wire a least two, and you could daisy chain five additional off of those two each.
Er, no. That would mean a network diameter of 13 (at least), as against the recommended maximum of 7. It could lead to spanning tree instability.

The usual rule of thumb is to chain no more than 3 Sonos devices in a line. On a single switch this results in a maximum diameter of 7.
System is ready 🙂
Watch out for heat build up in the CONNECTs. Unless the radios are disabled you're dissipating over 50 watts in there when idle, potentially more when working. (Each radio is believed to account for 1-2 watts.)

The units at the top of the central stacks of three could get very warm indeed. I'd suggest at least spacing the stacks out horizontally as much as possible.
Watch out for heat build up in the CONNECTs. Unless the radios are disabled you're dissipating over 50 watts in there when idle, potentially more when working. (Each radio is believed to account for 1-2 watts.)

The units at the top of the central stacks of three could get very warm indeed. I'd suggest at least spacing the stacks out horizontally as much as possible.

Thanks for warning