Answered

Can I get TV Audio from Arc to AirPlay 2 Receiver or is Sonos Port Required

• 25 September 2021
  • 2 replies

I’m trying to figure out exactly what I need. I have a TV with an eARC connection. I also have in-ceiling speakers throughout the house and on the patio. I’m trying to get the TV audio to the in-ceiling speakers (in sync). 

I have already ordered a Sonos Arc with sub package and a Move (for a room with no in-ceiling speakers). I also already have a Belkin Soundform (Airplay 2 receiver) that is connected to the amp feeding the in-ceiling speakers and an Apple HomePod Mini (it is my HomeKit Hub; I hardly ever use it for audio). 

I’m wondering whether I can get audio from the Arc to the Soundform to play over the in-ceiling speakers. That would be ideal, as it wouldn’t require buying anything else or making anything redundant. 

If not, is the only solution a Sonos Port connected to the amp feeding the in-ceiling speakers? That would mean buying a Port and rendering the Soundform useless. 

Thanks in advance. I appreciate how helpful everyone here is. 

Will 

icon

Best answer by buzz 25 September 2021, 16:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Unfortunately, SONOS is also a receive only Airplay 2 client.

With regard to the ceiling speakers, any combination of SONOS players can be ‘Grouped’ to play the same music. All of the players will be time aligned for music play. You can Group TV audio too, however, there will be a slight time skew between ARC and the other units (only when playing TV audio). The skew is relatively minor (at about 35ms), but it may be annoying if it is possible to hear ARC and another speaker simultaneously. You can adjust ARC’s Lip sync to compensate -- at the cost of sync with the video.

With regard to “time alignment” keep the physics in mind. Sound travels approximately 1 foot per millisecond and there can be awkward surprises. Consider two speakers playing the same material and three listeners. Listener ‘A’ standing next to speaker ‘A’ 30 feet removed from speaker ‘B’ will claim that speaker ‘B’ is delayed. Simultaneously, listener ‘B’ standing next to speaker ‘B’ will claim that speaker ‘A’ is delayed. Listener ‘C’ midway between ‘A’ and ‘B’ will claim that the speakers are time aligned. All listeners will be correct. Audio designers dealing with large spaces (auditoriums, stadiums, music festivals, etc) must deal with this reality and usually insert delays that allow the direct from stage sound to arrive at a distant listener location in sync with the amplified sound.

The rooms are far enough apart that I don’t think simultaneously hearing two sets will be an issue. As a result, I probably won’t compensate for something as small as a 35 ms delay. 

So it looks like, to make this work, I’m going to need to get a Port. That’s too bad. The SoundForm was already $100, and the Port isn’t exactly inexpensive. 

Thanks for the info! I appreciate it a lot. 

Will