Answered

Can I get rid of my BOOST if I wire my AMPS?

• 28 May 2019
  • 1 reply

When my AV guy installed my Sonos AMPS, he tried to use a BOOST and an entirely mesh Eero network. Didn't work very well - probably because he kept the FiOS router in DHCP mode, which mucks with Eero. So I'm replacing the Eeros with Google Wifi and using a MoCA bridge to get a wired connection to the node near my AMPS, then I'll use a switch to wire them all to the LAN port on the Google node.

A) Should that work?
and...
2) IF that all works, do I still need the BOOST that was connected to my router when the Eero was setup?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 28 May 2019, 23:54

1) As long as the wired device is wired to the "root" or "hub" device, ie. the device that's handing out the IP addresses, you should be fine. The SonosNet mesh network often doesn't like the connection from a secondary device.

2) No, at that point you could remove your BOOST. A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, you used to be required to have a BOOST to be in SonosNet. Due to some upgrades in the software, any Sonos device can fill in for the BOOST. Some of us still use the BOOST, since it's much cheaper than putting a regular Sonos speaker near my router, where I normally don't listen to music....but I could potentially get a longer ethernet cable, and wire one of my speakers, if I wanted.
View original

1 reply

1) As long as the wired device is wired to the "root" or "hub" device, ie. the device that's handing out the IP addresses, you should be fine. The SonosNet mesh network often doesn't like the connection from a secondary device.

2) No, at that point you could remove your BOOST. A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, you used to be required to have a BOOST to be in SonosNet. Due to some upgrades in the software, any Sonos device can fill in for the BOOST. Some of us still use the BOOST, since it's much cheaper than putting a regular Sonos speaker near my router, where I normally don't listen to music....but I could potentially get a longer ethernet cable, and wire one of my speakers, if I wanted.