Answered

Can I connect Yamaha hs5 to sonos amp?

• 10 September 2021
  • 9 replies

Badge

I have the latest sonos Amp and I recently got a pair of yamaha hs5 studio monitors. I wish to add the monitor to my sonos setup so I can stream music  to my sonos speakers and the monitors at the same time.

Is it ok (possible) to connect the monitors to the Amp using Say with a banana plug to a quarter inch jack, knowing that the monitors are Active (powered) speakers?  

I was also thinking of getting an audio interface (say focusrite), it is necessary considering  I have an amp already? 
To add, I don’t intend on doing any professional form of recording whatsoever, just music , movies and lame stuff like that.

thanks in advance

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 10 September 2021, 05:24

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7

The Sonos Amp is only designed to be used with passive speakers.

The Sonos Port, however, can be used with active speakers, and you could still use any Sonos speakers you had.

Badge

@GuitarSuperstar I understand that, I guess my question in this case is, will using the Amp with an active speaker cause any damage or it is only  mere “overkill” to use the Amp with an active speaker. 

Userlevel 7

@GuitarSuperstar I understand that, I guess my question in this case is, will using the Amp with an active speaker cause any damage or it is only  mere “overkill” to use the Amp with an active speaker. 

This article sums it up nicely:

• This is a golden rule to remember when working with sound: you never plug a power amp into an active speaker.

What happens is that the excess of current coming from the powered output reaching the input and getting the extra current from the loudspeaker amplifier can cause it to blow up. If you don’t want to fry your brand new acquisition or the active mixer you were plugging it into, then always follow the golden rule: POWER + POWER = DISASTER

https://stampsound.com/can-you-connect-a-power-amp-to-active-speakers/

Badge

😊

Thanks for the information. 

is there a less expensive  way to add the powered  speakers to my sonos setup without having to purchase a sonosport in this case? 

Userlevel 7

You could get a used Sonos Connect, which is the discontinued model that the Sonos Port replaced. If you want it to work with S2 app, be sure to get a Connect (Gen 2).

Badge

Gotcha! Thanks @GuitarSuperstar, That is helpful 

😊

Thanks for the information. 

is there a less expensive  way to add the powered  speakers to my sonos setup without having to purchase a sonosport in this case? 

Look for a cable that does the job of reducing the voltage from the speaker terminals of the amp to line level, such that the active speakers are fed line level supply when using it to connect them to the amp. A clunky way, but it will work. Make sure that it has the right jack at Yamaha end.

PS: it will be a little box, not a cable, that takes speaker level inputs and delivers line level outputs.

Badge

@Kumar Thanks for the response. I am thinking to just get a pair of passive speakers so ai can skip these hoops and loops. I feel it is a little easier that way