Answered

Cables for Sonance Outdoor Speakers

• 5 December 2019
  • 7 replies

Hi, I recently purchased the Sonos Outdoor Speakers by Sonance (used) and it didnt come with any audio cables to hook up to the amp. I plan to mount these speakers outside in my backyard. Which audio cables would be the preferred option to hook these outdoor speakers up to my Sonos Amp? I’m pretty new to this process, so any help is greatly appreciated.

icon

Best answer by jgatie 5 December 2019, 21:26

Use stereo speaker cable rated for outdoor use, 14 gauge for short to medium runs, 12 gauge for longer.  If you are going to be burying the cables, use a conduit to protect them from rocks, roots, etc.  

Here’s a 14 gauge that is pre-sheathed in conduit:

500FT Outdoor UV Protection Rated Professional Speaker Audio Cable At Amazon

View original

7 replies

Use stereo speaker cable rated for outdoor use, 14 gauge for short to medium runs, 12 gauge for longer.  If you are going to be burying the cables, use a conduit to protect them from rocks, roots, etc.  

Here’s a 14 gauge that is pre-sheathed in conduit:

500FT Outdoor UV Protection Rated Professional Speaker Audio Cable At Amazon

Thank you! Just to be clear i am going to run the cable basically from the speaker mounted on my wall outside into my attic and eventually to my amp.

Thank you! Just to be clear i am going to run the cable basically from the speaker mounted on my wall outside into my attic and eventually to my amp.

I’d still go for outdoor grade.  You don’t want to be constantly snipping the ends due to corrosion.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I’d still go for outdoor grade.  You don’t want to be constantly snipping the ends due to corrosion.  

Agreed on this.   Depending on where you live, code may not even allow you to use regular speaker wire inside the walls anyway.    Price difference isn’t much, no real reason not to get the good stuff.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Look for copper wire, not a copper - aluminum mix, for the best lifetime and least corrosion issues. I bought the above cable for my security camera 12 Volt distribution system and I’ve had to re-do a couple connections already. When I redo them I’m using air tight connectors and sealer to hopefully avoid a second round of problems.

Copper - In wall but not outdoor, so you’d need conduit or flex-conduit for any outside sections: 

https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Speaker-GearIT-Meters-Installation/dp/B01N3W479E/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=outdoor+speaker+cable&qid=1575619872&sr=8-3

I’m thinking of purchasing these cables below but not sure if I should go with 14AWG or 16AWG:

https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Speaker-GearIT-Meters-Installation/dp/B01N3W479E/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=outdoor+speaker+cable&qid=1575619872&sr=8-3

Which do you guys think would be better for the sonos outdoor speakers?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

It depends on the distance you’re running.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4764?language=en_US