Answered

Cable length between Sound bar and TV

• 13 February 2019
  • 3 replies

I need a cable length of 10 meters to connect my sound bar to the TV control box (its a Samsung Q9). Will this length of cable degrade the sound quality
icon

Best answer by Legnum Nick 13 February 2019, 15:55

Assuming it is a digital cable, then simple physics says the signal either arrives or not. It's only binary. As to the theoretical limit of a cable before the binary doesn't make it, I have no idea.
Having said that, there are plenty of places to buy optical or HDMI cables of over 10m so my guess would be that it will work fine.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11
Assuming it is a digital cable, then simple physics says the signal either arrives or not. It's only binary. As to the theoretical limit of a cable before the binary doesn't make it, I have no idea.
Having said that, there are plenty of places to buy optical or HDMI cables of over 10m so my guess would be that it will work fine.
TOSLINK has a technical maximum length of 10m, though some recommend a practical limit of 5m. For a 10m run you'd need to choose a good quality cable, ideally glass.
Thank you Nick and Ratty.