Bypassing Guest Network with laptop/router

• 19 July 2022
  • 3 replies

I have been taking my Play1’s with me on vacation for 6 years and hooking it up to the local WiFi. This year they installed community WiFi guest network. With the way Sonos works with Guest Networks its not possible to connect. After doing some research I was able to get past the Guest Wifi limitation with a laptop and a router. 

The laptop will be used to connect to the Guest Network. The router will be used to connect your Sonos speakers. 

What you need to do is to create a Bridge Connection in the Internet settings between the WiFi and the Ethernet port on your laptop. Very straight forward. Search Network Bridge Connection on Google. This will turn your Ethernet port from a incoming port to outgoing port and allow the the Guest Network connection to be share through the Ethernet port.

Once its setup login into the Guest Network on your laptop and connect the Ethernet Port to the router and setup your Sonos speakers as normal. 

Best part is the router can be used for all your wireless devices with a single sign in. 😁

Router used: Netgear R6080

Notes: I was getting a error when setting up the Bridge Connection. I had to reset my network settings. I was still getting the error afterwards but when I went into the properties of the Bridge Connection I was able to complete the setup by selecting the unchecked Ethernet Port. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Simpler still, get a travel router. It would connect directly to the community WiFi and set up a private network for all your devices including Sonos.

Simpler still, get a travel router. It would connect directly to the community WiFi and set up a private network for all your devices including Sonos.

Something like this would do it.  Leave the laptop at home.    Of course, you could also just use a bluetooth speaker for travel.

I looked into that. The issue there is they are either overpriced, have poor performance or have limited range. Overall a standard router works better.