Bringing Sonos To The Cottage For The Weekend

Userlevel 1
Hi Guys,

I've got Sonos in my house (love it!)...

Myself and 20 friends are heading up to a cottage for the long weekend at the end of the summer and I think it'd be great if I could bring Sonos.

In my house I've got several Zone Player 120's, an S5, a NAS with the music and an extra router.

I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on the easiest and best way to setup Sonos at the cottage for just the weekend.

We are going to have some DJ equipment with big speakers.

(Question: What happens if I connect powered speakers to a Zone Player 120? I know it expects non-powered speakers but will it explode if I connect powered speakers?)

I was thinking that I bring:
- Spare Router
- 1 Zone Player 120
- 1 S5
- NAS Drive

Then I just connect the router to the Zone Player and the Zone Player to the powered speakers (DJ Equipment).

I can then put the S5 somewhere else in the cottage.

We wouldn't have Internet access at the cottage. Is that required? Or, can I just setup a WiFi network using the router (without internet access).

Any insight, tips, tricks, ideas or general comments are appreciated.

Thanks! :)

5 replies

Do not connect the ZP120 to powered speakers!! The powered speakers expect a line-level input, the ZP120 puts out amplified output. Connecting amplified output to a line-level input will most certainly not work, and may severely damage the speakers. Either find some unpowered speakers, or use the headphone out on the S5 (not ideal, but will do in a pinch).
Userlevel 1
Phew... I'm glad I asked!

And, just to confirm, I require a router for a WiFi network, but I don't actually need internet access, right?
elite-rob wrote:

Phew... I'm glad I asked!

And, just to confirm, I require a router for a WiFi network, but I don't actually need internet access, right?

In reality, you only need a router for any iOS or Android controllers. Sonos itself will auto-IP in the absence of a DHCP server, allowing you to use an all Sonos system without a router. But, no you don't need Internet access if your updates are current and you not wish to access Internet content.
jgatie wrote:

Sonos itself will auto-IP in the absence of a DHCP server...

... but the NAS may not, without user intervention.
ratty wrote:

... but the NAS may not, without user intervention.

Good point.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)