Bridge Forces Router to Drop out!

I have just changed broadband provider from BT to EE, the new router sets up ok until ... I connect the Sonos Bridge which then makes the router drop out! Any suggestions?

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Confo,

See if this link helps, it mentions what you need to do when you change your router...

Replaced your router or changed WiFi settings?
Hi Ken, thanks - as soon as I connect the bridge to the router it drops the router out so can't follow the process through any further. Connected it up last night and left it through the night thinking it might sort itself out but ... no, router still not connect in the morning. It's only the sonos bridge that seems to be affecting it, leave the bridge disconnected ... router fine!
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
So can’t you use your router then from say either a tablet, mobile or PC to browse the internet when the bridge is plugged into one of its ethernet ports, is that what you are saying ?
I have the same problem - when I plug in the bridge it disconnects by bt router. I have not changed router or provider and this all of sudden occurred.
sean29od wrote:

I have the same problem - when I plug in the bridge it disconnects by bt router. I have not changed router or provider and this all of sudden occurred.

What disconnects? Do you mean your internet connection drops?

You'd better explain what -- other than the Bridge -- is wired to the router. Which BT Hub is it?

Bridge power supplies can fail as they age. This can introduce connectivity problems into the Sonos system.
For starters - apologies it’s my sonos boost that wasvdirectly connected to my BT smarthub. I went on vacation - returned and my WiFi was not working - I reset the router and extract the Ethernet cable linked to the boost and it is fine. I have tried a couple of time but each time it impacts the broadband. Having taken out the boost my sonos has worked fine as has my broadband with no sonos components plugged directly into the router.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
In order for the Sonos system to connect to the internet it has to be set up as a Boost system - at least one Sonos device has to be connected to your router over cable or in standard mode, whereby the devices are connected over standard Wi-Fi.

If you select About in the help section it will list your players and the last entry in the list will be either WM:0 or WM:1 - WM:0 is Boost, WM:1 is wifi setup. Which it should return in its current state.

As your system works without the Boost connected it is probably now connected in Standard Mode. It is possible that introducing the Boost back into the system as introduced a loop causing a port storm on your router. This would swamp the router and prevent it carrying out any tasks as it try's to route packets round an round the loop.

If your router supports Spanning Tree Protocol (STP) it should detect this and break the loop.

I would suggest going into the advanced setting on the App and clear the wireless settings so it cant connect to the WiFi. Then re-connect your boost, See what that does.

If you still have issues submit a diagnostic and drop support an email or give them a call.
At this point you should assume that the BRIDGE power supply is defective -- until proven otherwise.

If you can measure voltage, a healthy supply emits about 5.1 Volts. A less reliable test is to observe the network port lights. They should be dark unless a connection is active. Another less reliable test is to remove power from BRIDGE and set it aside, temporarily wiring another unit to the network if necessary. If the network continues to function without BRIDGE, suspect the power supply.

As the BRIDGE power supply output voltage sags, all sorts of issues surface, including your difficult to describe network problems. As the voltage sags to the 4.7 - 4.8V, range, BRIDGE may be able to run (sort of), but it can't boot. As a further distraction, the power supply voltage may rise enough for a semblance of normal operation after it has been removed from its power outlet for a while. This will lead to the incorrect conclusion that "reboot" is the magic bullet, but, as many have discovered, this is temporary. While I'm sure that there have been a few (nothing has a perfect service record), I'm not aware of any actual BRIDGE failures, only bad power supplies.

If you suspect STP issues, these will surface only when multiple SONOS units have a wired network connection. SONOS units wired to another wired SONOS unit will not cause STP issues unless the chain ("radius" in STP parlance) is excessively long.
I believe sean29od corrected his earlier post, in that he has a Boost not a Bridge.

It's certainly the case that sean29od's Sonos system has his BT Hub's WiFi credentials stored, otherwise it wouldn't work without a wired component. To be honest if the system's working I would be tempted to leave it working on the WiFi in 'Standard' mode.

However to return it to Boost mode I'd suggest that the system be entirely powered off before the Boost is wired to the Hub and powered up. Then power up the other units. They should all come up in Boost (WM:0*) mode and the WiFi credentials can then be removed/reset from the system.

BT Hub's can get very shirty if they detect a potential loop between wired and wireless segments, immediately shutting down the WiFi. It shouldn't happen if a WiFi mode Sonos system has a component plugged into the router, but I guess there's a possibility that a temporary loop could arise for however fleeting a period.

(*By the way, WiFi connection is indicated is About by WM:1 and WM:2, the latter applying to home theatre satellites.)

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings