Brand New Sonos User

Userlevel 2
I'm a noobie and thought I would start a thread in advance of receiving my ZP90, (already have a slightly used a CR100 controller to tide me over until I move to a smart phone later this year).

The ZP90 will go in our master bedroom/ master bath suite and will be hardwired by cat5 to the office/PC setup via router. The ZP90 will feed an amp capable of driving 2 zones of speakers.

11 replies

cuzed2,

First post! Welcome to the forums.

You may remember a classic TV commercial for a brand of potato chip. "You can't eat just one!".

As we have found, that's the way it is for SONOS too, "You can't stop at one zone." As often as not, it is the significant other who requests the additional units.

Welcome to the club.
Userlevel 2
buzz wrote:

cuzed2,

First post! Welcome to the forums.

You may remember a classic TV commercial for a brand of potato chip. "You can't eat just one!".

As we have found, that's the way it is for SONOS too, "You can't stop at one zone." As often as not, it is the significant other who requests the additional units.

Welcome to the club.

Thanks Buzz!
I certainly hope the wife buys into this, right now she is a skeptic. I need to show some good results fast!

My Plan
1) Will rip about 1/2 dozen of her favorite CDs to our office PC

2) I have opened a Pandora account, and have started to assemble a "station" for her

3) Have looked into streaming from her favorite local FM station

As for getting results fast - any other tips?
cuzed2 wrote:

As for getting results fast - any other tips?

I think you'll find it takes less time to get an existing Pandora account playing on the ZP90 than it does to get the ZP90 out of the box and plugged in.

Not sure how to get results any faster than that 🙂
cuzed2,

With respect to the PC, make sure that it does not go to sleep.

It would pay to add her favorite radio stations to the Favorites list.

Get a controller into her hands and allow her to play around. Most people are comfortable with the system after a few minutes.

After a few days, activate one of the free music service trials. Don't start them all, work with one trial for a few days, then start another and contrast their capabilities. In many was last.fm is similar to Pandora, but I particularly enjoy the artist bios available on last.fm.
Userlevel 2
buzz wrote:

cuzed2,
With respect to the PC, make sure that it does not go to sleep. It would pay to add her favorite radio stations to the Favorites list. Get a controller into her hands and allow her to play around. Most people are comfortable with the system after a few minutes. After a few days, activate one of the free music service trials. Don't start them all, work with one trial for a few days, then start another and contrast their capabilities. In many was last.fm is similar to Pandora, but I particularly enjoy the artist bios available on last.fm.

Thanks Again Buzz!
I will need to checkout "last.fm"

So; Where Am I with this new adventure?
Answer: I've drank the SONOS "Kool-Aid", and am now officially hooked!

Last night I received the new ZP90. Loaded the software on my PC, connected the ZP90 to my router, "linked" it, then brought up my used CR 100 controller - everything is communicating and I'm happy - no hitches yet. Time to start playing and getting used to the controller:

RADIO >> found 4/5 of our favorite local FM stations!

Pandora >> transferred my trial account, and played my first mix from our custom station - WHoa - this is really slick!

Our collection >> Set up and played "a share" of 5 test CDs I had ripped to a USB drive yesterday!

All of this in less than 2 hours from an impatient PC user - I'm impressed!

Next Up:
1) Need to get more of my wife's music ripped to FLAC (via dbpower-amp)

2) Get the controller into my wife's hands

3) Need to get an NAS drive setup

4) Oh yeah; I just scored a used ZP80 to drive my patio system..
Userlevel 2
I think I know the answer to this title:

Unless the unit is unplugged the answer would be NO - they are on all the time?

So what does everyone do when they are done listening.

1) Simply press mute?
2) Or is anyone in the habit of disconnecting these units from AC power with a switched surge protector?
3) Or ...?
Badge
I never turn my units off; just press pause on the song playing or stop. I don't unplug or power off my units at all. It would require them to power up every time I want to listen to music plus reacquire IP addresses (most of my units are wireless) which in my case can cause some confusion with my router.
cuzed2 wrote:

I think I know the answer to this title:

Unless the unit is unplugged the answer would be NO - they are on all the time?

So what does everyone do when they are done listening.

1) Simply press mute?
2) Or is anyone in the habit of disconnecting these units from AC power with a switched surge protector?
3) Or ...?

Like most modern electronics, each Sonos unit enters a low power standby mode seconds after the music stops. Most leave them plugged in in standby. Note that in order to truly stop the streaming, the Stop/Pause button must be pushed on the controller. The Mute button only turns the volume to mute. So to save power and bandwidth, use the Stop/Pause button, not Mute.
Userlevel 2
jgatie wrote:

Like most modern electronics, each Sonos unit enters a low power standby mode seconds after the music stops. Most leave them plugged in in standby. Note that in order to truly stop the streaming, the Stop/Pause button must be pushed on the controller. The Mute button only turns the volume to mute. So to save power and bandwidth, use the Stop/Pause button, not Mute.

Thanks - I was 1/2 right.
I need to get in the habit of pausing during my down times ...
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
If I want to make sure a particular zone is dormant, I select Zones | Zone Group for the zone in question. This brings up the Zone Grouping pane for this zone. Uncheck ALL boxes, hit Done, then Continue. Zone shows [no music]. The relevant Sonos box will go into its standby mode.
cuzed2 wrote:

Thanks - I was 1/2 right.
I need to get in the habit of pausing during my down times ...

Yes, the Mute vs. Pause thing was costly for some folks who had monthly bandwidth limits, so I figured I'd better mention it.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings