Answered

Boost Setup

I bought a boost as the connection to my speakers was becoming unreliable, and I believe I may need some help setting it up, as these is no difference in speaker reliability.

I added a boost via my phone app, Settings->System->Add Boost, followed the onscreen instructions blah blah Boost setup is complete.

• In Settings->System->Network->Networks my speakers are still indicated as being connected to my wifi router. Is this right?
  • There is no Settings->BOOST Settings on my phone app as the manual says
  • There is no Manage->Settings->BOOST settings on my PC app as the manual says
  • There also no Add a BOOST option on the PC app.
  • The status light on the Boost is solid white indicating it is working correctly
  • The Boost is about 6m away from my WiFi router 

Please Help !

icon

Best answer by Smilja 12 July 2020, 13:43

@andrewcoulings, You’ll need an Android or iOS device to set up a new Sonos product. After setting up the Boost will only be visible in ‘’System → About my System”, there are no settings for the Boost as such.

After setup is complete, remove the WiFi details from the system. On iOS or Android: From the Settings tab, tap System > Network > Networks. Select the WiFi network you'd like to remove, and tap Remove. Subsequently wait about 10 min, then go to 'Settings → System → About my Sonos System' and see if WM:0 is being displayed next to each unit.

View original

29 replies

@andrewcoulings, You’ll need an Android or iOS device to set up a new Sonos product. After setting up the Boost will only be visible in ‘’System → About my System”, there are no settings for the Boost as such.

After setup is complete, remove the WiFi details from the system. On iOS or Android: From the Settings tab, tap System > Network > Networks. Select the WiFi network you'd like to remove, and tap Remove. Subsequently wait about 10 min, then go to 'Settings → System → About my Sonos System' and see if WM:0 is being displayed next to each unit.

Is the Boost wired to your router? If not, it is essentially a brick.

Thank you!! Removed the WiFi network, speakers are now connected to WM:0 so hopefully that's sorted it. Why is that not in the manual?

Is the Boost wired to your router? If not, it is essentially a brick.

Yes John, I may have needed assistance, but I’m not one of those! LOL

Badge

I’ve added a Boost to my Sonos setup today to improve dropout etc. It’s now connected directly to my router. I followed all the setup instructions on my iPhone & I thought the speakers would automatically connect to it using SonosNet, but this is not the case.

Having checked ‘About My System’ on my iPhone, only the Boost is showing WM:0 & all the other speakers are still connected to WM:1.

I cannot seem to switch these speakers over to WM:0 nor can I disable the previous Wi-Fi connection directly to my router.

Can anybody please help me out here?

Many thanks, Ross 

In the app Settings, go to System, Network, to bring up the Networks screen.  Tap Wireless Setup and remove (reset) your WiFi details.

Badge

Hi John B.  Many thanks for your reply - appreciated.

When I go to ‘Wireless Setup’, I do not have the option to remove or reset - it's simply not there! All it says is ‘In Use’ & no other option (screen grab attached)

Can you assist further? The Boost is showing up in when I click on ‘Settings/System’ so it knows the Boost is there, but I can’t switch over to it.

Thanks, Ross  

Go back one screen from there and tap Wireless Setup, not Networks.

Badge

Thanks John B.

So I have 4 One’s (set up as 2 x separate stereo pairs) & 2 Move’s. The two Moves are still on WM:1, but everything else is now on WM:0, including the Boost.  Is that normal for the Move’s to be different?  My SonosNet Channel is set to 1 & not 6 like yours. Thanks again.

The Move does not connect to SonosNet. It is always WM:1 so what you have is 100% normal.

Badge

Many thanks John B. You’ve been a great help!

Hi… I have a similar problem. I show WM:0 but after removing the Wifi Network the IP addresses are still showing. 

Since installing the boost, I’ve had to disable Alexa on the Arc due to a “popping” sound when interacting and I suspect I was connected with Boost and Wifi. Should the IP addresses still be showing after removing the WiFi Network and waiting overnight?  

*Moderator Note: Please censor personal information when posting pictures.*

Yes that is normal.  The Boost is not a router, it just affects the paths followed by the data.  Your router is still going to handle the IP assignment, because there is no other device to do it, certainly not the Boost.

Badge

If my boost is connected and my Sonos devices are connected to it, shouldn’t they not show up when I look at what devices are connected to my WiFi network? Shouldn’t the boost be the only one since the rest are connected to it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Normally a Boost connects to Ethernet, not WiFi so it shouldn’t show on your WiFi, neither should devices connected to it.

An exception to the client devices, if you didn’t properly transition to the Boost and still have WiFi credentials in your system. That can be an aggravation and you should remove them on the controller’s settings menu.

If my boost is connected and my Sonos devices are connected to it, shouldn’t they not show up when I look at what devices are connected to my WiFi network? Shouldn’t the boost be the only one since the rest are connected to it?

I am not sure if you are saying you can or cannot see them. And I suspect you are using the term 'wifi' when you mean your local network, which includes wireless and wired devices.

What I would expect is that you would see all the Sonos devices as connected to your network, and all should appear as wired devices. The wireless Sonos devices will appear to your router to be wired because they connect via the wired device, and use SonosNet, not WiFi.

I have 4 Sonos Ones which appear to be connected to my Sonos Boost.  If I remove the Boost what would happen?  Would the Sonos One’s not play or would they switch to my routers WIFI?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I have 4 Sonos Ones which appear to be connected to my Sonos Boost.  If I remove the Boost what would happen?  Would the Sonos One’s not play or would they switch to my routers WIFI?

If you have your WiFi credentials in the system they would switch to WiFi.

You really don’t want that when using a Boost or a wired Sonos speaker so hopefully it is not there.

Thanks - I do have WIFI credentials.  I don’t plan to unplug my Boost but I wondered what would happen if it broke or something.

Why does a wired speaker (Sonos One) matter?

Can 1 wired Sonos One & a Sonos Boost work on the same Sonos System?

If you have both a wired device (BOOST or another Sonos device that is not a surround or sub), and have WiFi credentials in the Sonos controller, you’re giving the opportunity for the Sonos system to switch back and forth between SonosNet and normal WiFi. This provides the opportunity for brief dropouts in the signal as the system switches back and forth. If you have SonosNet set up, it is always wise to remove your WiFi credentials, as explained in the remove Wifi data FAQ.

When running SonosNet only, there is generally no negative impact of having more than one device wired to the router, it merely reinforces the mesh with multiple points of direct connection. In some cases, depending on the setup, this is a good thing, in others, it makes no difference.

Thanks - that makes it clearer for me

Hello everyone.

My Sonos speakers are connected to the Boost. 

Can my daughter's Sonos system (another account) be connected to my Boost?

thx for any help.

No, a BOOST is setup as part of your own system. Your daughter would need to connect her own BOOST to the router to have her own Sonos system connect to it. Or just one of her speakers.