Answered

Boost - connected with ethernet cable or not?

• 25 May 2020
  • 3 replies

I have a several Sonos speakers an an Amp and due to various connection problems have finally succumbed to purchasing a Sonos Boost.

I know if I have the boost connected to my router by an ethernet all my other Sonos products “talk” to the boost rather than my router thus freeing some of my router speed up because they are using the Sonosnet instead of my home wifi.

However if i were to remove the ethernet cable would the speakers revert back to using my router wifi signal or continue using the Sonosnet?

Before anyone tells me that it shouldn't revert back to the wifi because i should of removed the wifi settings from my system I can't remove the wifi from my system as I have a Sonos Move and this prevents me from doing so.

All products on system connection type is WM:0 with the exception of the Move which is WM:1

icon

Best answer by John B 25 May 2020, 19:51

The speakers would revert to Wifi if the Boost is your only wired Sonos device and you remove the Ethernet cable. The Boost will then perform the same function as a brick.

View original

3 replies

The speakers would revert to Wifi if the Boost is your only wired Sonos device and you remove the Ethernet cable. The Boost will then perform the same function as a brick.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I was first researching ethernet/switch for my home Sonos system. My current setup is wifi off the router (located upstairs) while 2 Sono’s Play 1 is also upstairs in our bedroom. Another pair of Sonos Play 1 is in my garage. And I have a pair of Sonos One/Sub/Playbase in our TV room (downstairs). I was getting some wifi issues when everything was hooked up (before I got a new router). Since the new router I’ve had good wifi. But lately my Music Library would drop out of my app. So I would have to depend on Spotify until I can get my Music Library back. So I have been doing some research on ethernet/switch. And now I’m looking into the Boost. If I set up my Sonos using ethernet/switch & Boost this will eliminate my Music Library from dropping out occasionally? I also like using Airplay2 (youtube, etc) on my Sonos One and then combining the One to the Sonos Play 1 speakers. Will the ethernet setup eliminate Airplay2? Also where would be a good location in my house for Boost? Upstairs in same room as Router? Or should I run ethernet cable downstairs and place the Boost downstairs? Remember I have a pair of Sonos Play 1 upstairs in the bedroom.  I am also considering getting a Port and another pair of Sonos One.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @dcgunman.

Welcome, thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community, I totally understand where you're coming from and I’m here to help.

I will try to answer all your questions about the boost.

If I set up my Sonos using ethernet/switch & Boost this will eliminate my Music Library from dropping out occasionally?

- It will surely improve the connectivity in your Sonos network.

Will the ethernet setup eliminate Airplay2?

- No

Where would be a good location in my house to Boost?

- provably less than 10 feet to your Sonos speakers.

Might want to read also this article it will give you some idea of how to Reduce wireless interference.

Let us know if it works. If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.