Answered

boost and bridge?

• 28 August 2019
  • 7 replies

Is there any point adding my new boost and leaving the bridge in as well?
icon

Best answer by ratty 28 August 2019, 13:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Both wired, in the same place? No, no point at all.

I suggest you recycle the Bridge.
I wasn’t thinking of the same place, leave the bridge in the router and put the Boost on another floor? Would this be better than just using the new Boost?
Userlevel 7
I wasn’t thinking of the same place, leave the bridge in the router and put the Boost on another floor? Would this be better than just using the new Boost?

If the Boost is just plugged into the wall it will act as a relay. However for maximum performance it should be wired back to your router.

Why not just replace the Bridge with the Boost and see if the coverage improves assuming you're having trouble reaching an upstairs device.

Cheers!
To avoid confusion during replacement I suggest you unplug your Sonos, remove the Bridge, reboot your router, install the Boost and then plug-in your Sonos 1 x 1.
NO! This could split the system and result in the OP losing all his settings/playlists/etc.

Instead you should simply follow the instructions at https://support.sonos.com/s/article/417
Userlevel 7

To avoid confusion during replacement I suggest you unplug your Sonos, remove the Bridge, reboot your router, install the Boost and then plug-in your Sonos 1 x 1.NO! This could split the system and result in the OP losing all his settings/playlists/etc.

Instead you should simply follow the instructions at https://support.sonos.com/s/article/417

My Bad....I was thinking about a step (3) when changing from wireless to wired. Got my wires crossed 🤤
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
As ratty said, it's best to just replace the Bridge.

Easiest way to do it, (assuming your system is currently operating with the Bridge wired in) add the Boost in wirelessly, then swap the Ethernet cable from the Boost to the Bridge once it's set up.

The Bridge is getting pretty old, and it's benefits are pretty limited these days, especially if you have a Boost. If you do want to use both, make sure you use the Boost as the root device wired to the network, since that's a more intensive and important role. My recommendation is to recycle the Bridge.
Thanks guys, I’ll just use my new Boost on its own👍