Answered

Bluetooth without wifi

Do you need wifi to connect phone to roam via Bluetooth? 

I won a Sonos speaker but I don't have wifi at home. I can't get roam to enter Bluetooth mode. I can't set up the app because I don't have wifi. 

Does this mean you couldn't use the speaker if you are away from wifi, like out on a boat or camping?

icon

Best answer by Mr. T 6 July 2022, 00:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

WiFi is only required for the initial set-up.

Like all Sonos speakers, Roam must be set-up with the Sonos app whilst on WiFi before you can connect a device directly via Bluetooth.

ROAM is not a generic Bluetooth speaker. You’ll need WiFi while you initially setup ROAM. After it is setup, then you can use ROAM as a generic Bluetooth speaker while you are out and about.

No you only need a WiFi/Internet connection to setup/register the Roam and/or update it’s software/firmware. You can then use it via Bluetooth with/without WiFi/Internet - I sometimes use it solely on Bluetooth when travelling around/hiking.

So all you need is one friend or family member willing to let you onto their wifi for a few minutes.  You may even be able to set up using a mobile phone hotspot, but you would then need another mobile device (e.g. an iPad) to do the set up.