Answered

Biwiring with different amps

• 17 October 2018
  • 5 replies

Badge
Hi, I have Sonos throughout my house...probably one of the best investments I have made due to my deep love of music in life.
I am setting up a higher end system in my den (man cave) and would like to get a pair of biwire-able floorstanding speakers. I currently own a Connect: Amp (55 wpc) and am awaiting the release of the Amp (125 wpc). Is it possible for me to use these 2 amps in a biwired setup. I would set it up as a parallel with the top terminals going to the 55 connect amp and the bottom terminals going to the 125 wpc Amp.

Would this kind of thing cause any problems? Or would it be better for me to get 2 Amps and spend the extra money (which I would like to save and put towards the floorstanders if at all possible).

Thanks!!!
icon

Best answer by upstatemike 17 October 2018, 17:40

Should not be a problem as long as the two amps stay grouped and in sync. That said, if I was going to bi-amp speakers I would be more comfortable with two regular amps fed from a single Connect. Two separate Sonos amps seems like an invitation for network and grouping issues with no particular up side.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Should not be a problem as long as the two amps stay grouped and in sync. That said, if I was going to bi-amp speakers I would be more comfortable with two regular amps fed from a single Connect. Two separate Sonos amps seems like an invitation for network and grouping issues with no particular up side.
I concur. Use the Connect as input to two non-Sonos amplifiers.
Badge
I happen to have a connect; so perhaps I will go down that road.
Thanks guys!
First post on this forum and I'm glad I joined it!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would hook two other amps to one connect.
Same advice as the other guys. Although it might just be possible to use two identical powered players (2x Amp or 2x Connect:Amp) in a quasi bi-amp mode I'd still be concerned about sync accuracy/drift in the crossover region. Using two dissimilar players could be asking for trouble, not only from sync but also phase coherence between the two.