best quality sound connection ?

• 27 February 2012
  • 7 replies

What’s the best quality sound connection between a “Sonos Connect” and my Yamaha RX-V3900 AV hifi receiver (which has it’s own on-board DACs) .... Analog RCA phono, or either of the two digital outputs, Coax or optical ? My receiver can accept all these connections.
Many thanks. Mark

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Welcome to the forums.

Only your ears can be the judge between analog and digital. Try both. Don't spend ludicrous money on interconnect cables.

The DAC in the CONNECT is regarded as pretty good, but your senses may prefer the sound of the DAC in your Yamaha. As for coax vs optical, they should sound identical.

On a related point: if you are grouping the CONNECT with another Sonos player then sync is guaranteed only at the Sonos player outputs. If the Yamaha adds processing delay to the digital audio path you will encounter sync issues. This can even affect analog sources if the Yamaha controls volume in the digital domain.

The DAC in the CONNECT is regarded as pretty good, but your senses may prefer the sound of the DAC in your Yamaha. As for coax vs optical, they should sound identical.

I agree that the Connect DAC is good enough for all except high end audio systems, particularly where the speakers are revealing.

For a more robust connection, I prefer digital coax cables to optical, and one gets good enough quality without spending silly money on exotic cables.
Many thanks for the responses. Mark
Userlevel 2
Badge
If you use a digital out (optical or coax) is the DAC bypassed?

I am trying to go from SONOS CONNECT to 12 channel amp and having a hard time figuring out what cable/out to use to go from the SONOS to the OSD AMP I have.

I know its an old thread but I am pretty confused here. Thanks
If you use a digital out (optical or coax) is the DAC bypassed?
Yes. DIgital output is 24 bits wide, at the sampling rate of the original file. The extra 8 bits allows for volume adjustment of the original 16 bit samples without loss of precision (until the inexorable truncation at very low volume).
Userlevel 2
Hi

I`ve been lurking a while and spotted the thread on bit perfection Vs DSP and volume normalisation. In that thread someone stated the coaxial digital output is 24 bit (thus remains bit perfect with app volume reduction down to low volumes). Are the coax and optical outputs equivalent?

It'd be surprising if they went to the trouble of encoding them differently. What would be the point.

My preference is to use optical because i use a amplifier switching box between my AV amp and stereo amp for the same set of front speakers. By connecting one with optical it removes risk of a circuit forming between the amps via the sonos. It's a low risk but optical does provide electrical isolation as a benefit.

Cheers
Are the coax and optical outputs equivalent?

Yes. IMO as to which to use, it is just a matter of which cable you have lying around, or what socket the other box has.