best NAS?

Userlevel 1
Hi all,

having problems deciding on a NAS, there seem to be a lot of conflicting reviews out there. I just want something simple to setup for 120-150 pounds and it will be mainly for use with music/sonos,I don't have too many videos or other files to backup.

there are decent deals on lacie, western digital and seagate at present , anyone got any tips ?

thanks

alan

11 replies

So there are several factors to consider with any form of storage....

1) size -- how much... how can you grow it....

2) connectivity -- are you going network directly. If so, then performance can be important depending on what you are storing.

3) interface

4) services.... can it host as a upnp device, can it host an itunes db etc.... How can you "map" it, access.....

5) security... are you looking for something that you can secure with users/permissions, etc.....

Most of the people seem to like the Dlink series in your price range (of 200ish gb pounds).....

Get as much storage as you can, since you'll use it eventually. Plus you can always put backups, centralize documents, etc..... Also I would recommend that you do it some form of raid 1 (mirroring), so that you have some data security too.
Userlevel 1
With a NAS you are paying for two main things, power and OS. Since you won't need a very powerful unit for music you are looking more at the user interface and the features it offers.

Personally I like the interface and features of QNAP and Synology. Since QNAP is more readily available they are my NAS of choice for my installations.

Also, I prefer at least a 2 bay so you have some redundancy, and don't buy the cheapest hard drive you can get your hands on.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I really like my WD My Book Live and there are quite a few users here who say the same.
tecnoclash,

Western Digital My Book Live is a current favourite here and works well with Sonos. It has no fan and spins down when not required. A single-disk unit may well serve your needs.

As far as backups are concerned RAID is an attractive idea until the unit itself is bricked, or consumed by flame or flood. Personally I'd recommend a backup onto an entirely separate device, ideally stored away from your home.
I have one of these and I'm well pleased with the performance. Set it up with 2x Samsung 1Tb drives from Scan in Raid 1 mode. If you look at my other posts you will see it allows Sonos to point at lower (than root) folders for your library ( something that other "experts" on here say is impossible).
TeeDoubleUDee wrote:

If you look at my other posts you will see it allows Sonos to point at lower (than root) folders for your library ( something that other "experts" on here say is impossible).

Hang on a minute. The "experts" were correct: Sonos still won't accept a subfolder of a share.

You're in the fortuitous position of having a NAS which can create an 'overlay' share root at any level of the file system hierarchy of a pre-existing share. :cool:
I did write that slightly tongue in cheek ratty, but it does circumvent the Sonos root restriction ;)
ratty wrote:

tecnoclash,
As far as backups are concerned RAID is an attractive idea until the unit itself is bricked, or consumed by flame or flood. Personally I'd recommend a backup onto an entirely separate device, ideally stored away from your home.

True.... offsite is always better, however, the issue is that you actually have to do it. At least with RAID, you will be able to survive a HD failure with "minimal" fuss.

After loosing a drive with the MP3's on it, back in the day, I was rather glad I hadn't deleted the files of another drive yet..... Ever since then, everything important is always on a mirror....
Userlevel 1
steelrat wrote:

True.... offsite is always better, however, the issue is that you actually have to do it. At least with RAID, you will be able to survive a HD failure with "minimal" fuss.

I replace enough drives in raids for clients on a regular basis to convince me to always recommend RAID.
Userlevel 1
I have had good luck with the seagate goflex system. I like that the drive can be removed and connected though USB to a computer. They are reliable and have never failed me. However I have heard a few people complain about Sonos not finding the drive when you search for it. I have had this problem in the past but if I type in the network extension directly than I don't have a problem with it. Myself I wouldn't recommend WD Nas. I've had tons of problems with them. However their HDD's are great, it's just that their NAS enclosures have given me problems.
Userlevel 1

Sonos still won't accept a subfolder of a share.

That caught me out yesterday when I did a system re-build in my new house on a new router. Sonos would not scan my shared music folder however it would accept the next level up in the hierarchy (perhaps not a technically correct description but you get the idea). The Sonos controller has to scan my shared photos and shared videos as well as my shared music. It's no big deal but a surprising quirk that really ought to be fixed at some point. If you want a music library to be ignored then you have to create a separate top level directory structure. hey ho !

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings