Beam with Onkyo Receiver?

• 13 May 2019
  • 4 replies

I'm getting some noticeable lag when using my beam with my LG C8 (like a lot of people here). So, I inserted an hdmi switch that fixes the lag, but the remote situation is a bit complicated. I was thinking about getting a an Onkyo TX-NR686 and running the beam to that. Would it work or do I need a Connect? And if I need the Connect, will the beam work with it?

I feel like the beam should theoretically be able to connect to the AVR.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I don't seen how the receiver and Beam would connect directly. the connect has HDMI output designed to connect to the TV, but if you connected it to the Beam instead, how would video get to the TV? And it's labeled ARC, but I'm sure the receiver is designed to receive audio over ARC, not send it out to another device. The receiver doesn't have an optical output.

What you could do is get an HDMI to optical converter that will take HDMI and output HDMI (for TV) and optical for the Beam. You could then use the receiver as a means of switching inputs, to solve your remote problem. However, that's a lot of money to resolve a remote problem.

I would look at getting an HDMI switch that comes with a remote. If you want to get a universal remote, than look at using a Harmony remote. The overall price should be much cheaper than a receiver, and you'll get additional remote features.
I don't seen how the receiver and Beam would connect directly. the connect has HDMI output designed to connect to the TV, but if you connected it to the Beam instead, how would video get to the TV?

Currently, I'm using the hdmi to optical converter that comes with the Beam and it goes into the optical port of the hdmi switcher. This makes it so that anything else connected via hdmi will output sound to the beam. The LG magic remote doesn't like this, though. If I use the ARC port on the TV then I'm able to use the remote and get lag. If I use any other port then I can use my Apple TV remote for volume.

I'm also unable to use any onboard TV apps (not a huge issue since I have an Apple TV). It's just funny seeing how arc works with different remotes. I guess I could try the harmony remote if all else fails.

The HDMI switch works, it just looks kinda cheap in my whole setup.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Sorry, should have realized you were already using optical. I don't think my answer has changed though. You'll still need to use the switch, or a smaller one you can hide behind the TV or something.

I still think you can a switch with a remote, like this one.
https://www.amazon.com/Optical-Toslink-Extractor-Splitter-Support/dp/B07K5FYW5M/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=hdmi+switch+optical+remote&qid=1557786744&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

Get an IR blaster if you want to hide it somewhere. If your magic remote can't be used to switch inputs on the switch, then get an logitech harmony...I'd be surprised if it can't be programmed to control the switch.

And just to be sure, you've messed with the LG TVs settings, and removed any unnecessary audio processing?
Funnily enough, that’s the exact switch I have. Yeah, I’ve tried every setting in the book and I get lag on all my connected devices. Native tv apps work great. The switch kills the lag when I enter it into the equation without changing anything. I just ordered some optical splitters and realized I can’t achieve what I’m trying to do. Not sure what I was thinking... I guess I’ll try the harmony next. The switch does have some quirks if I turn things on in a different order.