Answered

Beam possible with older TV?

• 24 January 2019
  • 1 reply

My current setup is an 8-year old Samsung UN46C6300SF TV with 4 HDMI ports of which one is their HDMI-CEC, AppleTV, a Bose 321 audio system for the TV, and also 3 PLAY:1 speakers. Want to cut the cable cord with a Roku Ultra and also replace the Bose with the Beam but see a requirement for an HDMI-ARC port. Do I really need to get another TV with a HDMI-ARC port?
icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 24 January 2019, 22:16

Hi AvonArms

The port labeled for HDMI_CEC is Samsung's version of HDMI_ARC. I have a Samsung Plasma circa 2013 with a Beam connected to the HDMI_CEC port that supports the Alexa assistant in the Beam to turn TV on but not off.

As I previously had the Beam connected to a Sony circa 2012 all features of the Beam with Alexa worked perfectly. I've come to the conclusion that HDMI_ARC functionally may vary by TV manufacturer.

Alternatively, the Beam can also be connected via optical with the included adapter. However, when configured in that manner Alexa voice control for your TV is not available. Other Alexa features are not affected.

Two of the Play 1's can be bonded to the Beam as surrounds. Also know that your set may or may not pass DD5.1 over optical. If you no longer have the manual (or can't locate it) search online to answer that question by typing "Samsung UN46C6300SF Manual" and you should get a hit.

Cheers!
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi AvonArms

The port labeled for HDMI_CEC is Samsung's version of HDMI_ARC. I have a Samsung Plasma circa 2013 with a Beam connected to the HDMI_CEC port that supports the Alexa assistant in the Beam to turn TV on but not off.

As I previously had the Beam connected to a Sony circa 2012 all features of the Beam with Alexa worked perfectly. I've come to the conclusion that HDMI_ARC functionally may vary by TV manufacturer.

Alternatively, the Beam can also be connected via optical with the included adapter. However, when configured in that manner Alexa voice control for your TV is not available. Other Alexa features are not affected.

Two of the Play 1's can be bonded to the Beam as surrounds. Also know that your set may or may not pass DD5.1 over optical. If you no longer have the manual (or can't locate it) search online to answer that question by typing "Samsung UN46C6300SF Manual" and you should get a hit.

Cheers!