beam/play1

• 28 November 2021
  • 6 replies

I currently have a play 1 which is no longer compatible with air play if I upgrade to the beam will I be able to play my music from my phone through the play 1 by linking it the the beam 

6 replies

Yes, you can ‘group’ the two speakers via the Sonos App and Airplaying your audio to the Beam, will cause it to play in sync to the ‘group’.

Yes, you can ‘group’ the two speakers via the Sonos App and Airplaying your audio to the Beam, will cause it to play in sync to the ‘group’.

Thank you K13 but will I be able to play music from phone to play 1 in kitchen while beam is connected to tv in living room 

or will I only be able to play on play 1 if it’s also on beam 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

What do you mean by “no longer compatible with AirPlay” - Play:1s were never compatible with AirPlay,

What do you mean by “no longer compatible with AirPlay” - Play:1s were never compatible with AirPlay,

I used to be able to play straight from my iPhone library to the play 1 but when Apple launched airplay 2 it would not work googled it at the time and read that the play 1 was not compatible with airplay 2 

I used to be able to play straight from my iPhone library to the play 1 but when Apple launched airplay 2 it would not work googled it at the time and read that the play 1 was not compatible with airplay 2 

The Play:1 was never compatible with the original Airplay either, you were using a Sonos feature called ‘on this iPhone’, which Apple rendered unworkable.

But that doesn’t change where you stand now.  You will only be able to play on the Play:1 using Airplay via the Beam, so the Beam cannot be used simultaneously for a different stream.

Or you could upgrade to a Sonos One or One SL and sell the Play:1 on eBay.

The Play:1 was never compatible with the original Airplay either, you were using a Sonos feature called ‘on this iPhone’, which Apple rendered unworkable.

But that doesn’t change where you stand now.  You will only be able to play on the Play:1 using Airplay via the Beam, so the Beam cannot be used simultaneously for a different stream.

Or you could upgrade to a Sonos One or One SL and sell the Play:1 on eBay.

Ok thanks I thought when I selected on this iPhone it was working through airplay will probably upgrade to the beam still but still try using the play 1 by using Amazon prime streaming when I can as only using for music