Answered

Beam Play 5 combination

• 13 September 2018
  • 11 replies

Recently I got the Beam for my tv, and quickly I started to play music with it. It sounds ok, but I would like to extend the sound a bit more, to get a wider sound. So I was thinking of combining the Beam with a Play 5, as a stereo set. Does someone have this combination, or tested this?
icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 13 September 2018, 18:54

For the wider sound you might consider a new "room" with two stereo paired Sonos Ones or if you don't need the new features on them Play 1s in a stereo pair and set up in conventional left-right stereo positions.

Another option would be to combine your Beam and a pair of Play 1s into a 5.0 surround setup. That will sound nice for 5.1 sources and if you set the Play 1s to "full mode" for music it will make maximum use of them. Trying both setups is fairly painless.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Unless you're using third party software, you can't "stereo pair" the Beam with anything. ANd maybe not even with third party software. The Beam already is 3 speakers, a Left, Center and Right in a single enclosure.

That being said, you could set up another speaker, such as a PLAY:5, as another "room" in the Sonos software, and group the two rooms together, and they'd play streamed music in sync, just not in "stereo". You'd be getting stereo out of the beam, and also out of the PLAY:5, but not one of them as left, the other as right.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
For the wider sound you might consider a new "room" with two stereo paired Sonos Ones or if you don't need the new features on them Play 1s in a stereo pair and set up in conventional left-right stereo positions.

Another option would be to combine your Beam and a pair of Play 1s into a 5.0 surround setup. That will sound nice for 5.1 sources and if you set the Play 1s to "full mode" for music it will make maximum use of them. Trying both setups is fairly painless.
Thanks for the tips. I'm also considering to get 2 Play 5's and the Sub, first for playing music, but could they compliment the Beam for a more cinematic effect?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
My guess, as I don't have a Beam is that they would compliment it nicely if set up as two rooms with the Sub assigned to the Play 5 pair. When listening to music you could use just the 5s and Sub Room or group with the Beam for a center channel and a bit more volume. For the TV, go just the other direction and add the 5s and Sub Room to the Beam room.

I love my 5s but folks here keep telling me that a piar of 1s or Ones and a Sub sounds pretty good and the cost saving is huge so I'd wait for more comments before buying anything but the Sub as it will be great no matter your other speaker decisions.
My guess, as I don't have a Beam is that they would compliment it nicely if set up as two rooms with the Sub assigned to the Play 5 pair. When listening to music you could use just the 5s and Sub Room or group with the Beam for a center channel and a bit more volume. For the TV, go just the other direction and add the 5s and Sub Room to the Beam room.

I love my 5s but folks here keep telling me that a piar of 1s or Ones and a Sub sounds pretty good and the cost saving is huge so I'd wait for more comments before buying anything but the Sub as it will be great no matter your other speaker decisions.

Thanks again, I would love to hear other's experiences.

This is my current setup, it looks very nice,but I think Sonos sounds better.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I don't know how they sound but I know better than to request space to add something that odd looking to our living room from the spouse!

I have two rooms with conventional home theater systems, one fairly nice and the other decent, neither is seeing much use since I got started with Sonos and neither is going to be updated or replaced.

I sure wish Sonos made a 5.1 system hub as a replacement for the Connect so you could put a couple Play 5s left/right front, a Play 3 center and a couple Play 1s to the rear with a Sub stuck somewhere. Toss in a few surround decoders like you see on higher end receivers and I'd have my main system on ebay as soon as it arrived.
I don't know how they sound but I know better than to request space to add something that odd looking to our living room from the spouse!
No tears were shed when I told her about my plans.

I'm not sure if a 5.1 setup will be my goal on the short term, and I'm still not sure if I should get the Subwoofer, but 2 Play 5's sounds very tempting.

Another question, how would you judge the 2 5's without, and with the sub?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I don't have a Sub but folks here keep telling me that a pair of 5s is comparable to a Pair of 1s plus the Sub and that a Sub while very nice with the 5s isn't a cost effective choice.

I have Play 1s and a pair of Gen1 Play 5s so at some point I'll get a Sub and try the combinations out myself but for now when I need the really low end I go to my receiver with a big sub and my DBX sub-harmonic synthesizer.
I have just placed the order for 2 Play 5's. Musically I'm settled for now, and will test to see if it lacks the sub. Financially it's even better this way, compared to 2 one's and a sub.
Thanks again for thinking with me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
You are going to love the Play 5s. Have you looked at the suggestions for positioning them and how that changes things? Worth a read before you get the spouse involved in making spots for them.
You are going to love the Play 5s. Have you looked at the suggestions for positioning them and how that changes things? Worth a read before you get the spouse involved in making spots for them.

Can you send me a link?