Answered

Beam Optical to HDMI

• 3 September 2018
  • 4 replies

Hi, I bought a Beam and found out that you need to connect via HDMI ARC or via the provided HDMI to Optical adapter. My Smart TV is wall mounted and I already have HDMI / Optical cables access through a counduit. It’s very difficult for me to pull the wall mounted TV out and insert into ARC so was planning to use Optical cable but there is no Optical input into Beam. I was thinking of using a Optical to HDMI adapter/connector to connect that end into Beam. Will that work?
icon

Best answer by ratty 3 September 2018, 19:32

Use a female-to-female TOSLINK coupler, then the optical-to-HDMI dongle supplied with the Beam.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Use a female-to-female TOSLINK coupler, then the optical-to-HDMI dongle supplied with the Beam.
Ok. Thanks. Let me try this. I read somehwhere here that I will lose some functionality if I use an Optical connection versus the ARC..? Is that true?
You'll lose HDMI-CEC. This means that the Beam's voice control won't be able to turn the TV on/off. Also you'll need to train the Beam to use your IR remote (which the controller will take you through), instead of the remote sending volume commands via the TV. Depending on the audio options in the TV you may encounter lip-sync issues.
Thanks a lot. Much appreciated.