Answered

Beam (Gen 2) or Arc without e ARC on TV

• 25 November 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge

Hi, I currently have a Beam (Gen1) attached to my 3 year old Samsung TV.  Simply is it going to be worthwhile for me to either upgrade to a Beam (Gen 2) or even an Arc as my TV does not have the eARC port just an ARC one?  Without getting too technical as I am a subscriber to both Spotify and Apple Music will I hear my music in Dolby Atmos?  I also have Sky Q, Netflix, Apple TV and Disney+, again would I hear a difference in the sound and would I get it in Dolby Atmos?  I don’t want to fork out more money to get any noticeable difference.  Thanks in advance

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 26 November 2021, 01:53

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Atmos from the apps on your TV will probably work on a new Sonos soundbar - compressed Atmos will transport via HDMI-ARC (no eARC necessary). As far as I know neither Spotify nor Apple do Atmos in music.

The Beam Gen 2 does do Atmos, but since it has no upfiring speakers I would expect the Atmos effect on an Arc would be much better. Maybe someone else can comment on the difference between a Beam Gen 1 (no Atmos) and Gen 2 (Atmos). I only own a Beam Gen 1.

Userlevel 7

As stand-alone units connected DIRECTLY to your TV upgrading to either the Arc or Beam Gen2 may not offer the benefits/noticeable improvements you desire. However, upgrading to the Arc or Beam Gen2 and incorporating a HDFury Arcana (Click here) may give you what you desire for movies (i.e.Dolby Atmos).  The HDFury Arcana captures the signal from your source (like AppleTV) and sends the audio to the Arc or Beam Gen2) and the video to your TV. If you have multiple sources you will have to incorporate an in-line switch before the HDFury Arcana.

Just so you know...even if your TV has eArc capability it would have to send audio (Dolby Atmos) to the Arc or Beam Gen2 via the “pass-through” option (found in the TV sound menu) for any source connected via its HDMI port(s). *

* The aforementioned is what you might look for in your next TV. Although pass-through audio is becoming more common on new TV’s.