Beam Gen 2 compatibility

• 30 November 2021
  • 5 replies

Hi,

I’m looking to get the Beam (Gen 2) along with a new tv.  In order to enjoy Dolby Atmos from 4k blu-rays, do I need to get a TV that says it supports Dolby Atmos AND has an eARC connection, or do I only need to make sure it has an eARC connection?  

I’m still learning all the technical details of this, so any help/input would be appreciated. 

Thanks! 

5 replies

Userlevel 7

Just get a TV that is equipped with HDMI eARC. Don’t worry about whether or not it says it supports Dolby Atmos.

If you are also planning on using the TV’s native apps to stream Dolby Atmos content, make sure the TV supports Dolby Atmos on the apps you plan on using.

Great, thank you!  So just so I understand, if I wanted Atmos out of Netflix or Prime that streamed through the TV, then I would need the TV that supports Atmos.  But if I’m just playing 4k blu-rays with Dolby Atmos, I just need to make sure I have the eARC connection so Atmos can stream from the blu-ray player through the Beam.  Am I getting that correct? 

Great, thank you!  So just so I understand, if I wanted Atmos out of Netflix or Prime that streamed through the TV, then I would need the TV that supports Atmos.  But if I’m just playing 4k blu-rays with Dolby Atmos, I just need to make sure I have the eARC connection so Atmos can stream from the blu-ray player through the Beam.  Am I getting that correct? 

Correct.  

Userlevel 7

Sort of. My point is that not all TVs, even with eARC, support all apps with Dolby Atmos. For example, most new TVs will support Atmos on Netflix and Prime Video, but some TVs still do not support Atmos on Disney+ or HBO Max. So if you want Atmos audio from those two apps, just make sure you check with the TV manufacturer first.

I’ve found that if the TV has a “passthrough” audio mode, the more formats it will support.  For instance, my cheap bedroom Toshiba Fire TV model is eARC to a Beam, but I didn’t see Atmos until I enabled “Passthrough” in the Audio Output settings.  Now I get all formats, even 5.1 from apps that formerly only gave 2.0 stereo, like Hulu and Peacock.