Question

Beam direct to PS4 via optical?

• 3 August 2019
  • 3 replies

Badge
I have read a few posts where folks had connected Beam to PS4 thru digital optical but I have not been able to do so successfully. What I'd like to do is maintain using TV speakers for everyday viewing and have the ability to turn on Beam and Play 1's for movies, streaming services, etc. Is this possible? If so, how?

3 replies

Gah.

Not easily, it's not the way the system was designed to work, but not impossible. You could conceivably set up the PS4 to send a Dolby Digital optical signal out, and connect that to the adapter that Sonos provides with the Beam, which switches optical to HDMI-ARC, which is what the Beam looks for (and why you can't just connect a normal HDMI cable / source to the Beam).

When you say "movies, streaming services, etc", I'm assuming you mean on the PS4, and not your TV.

Essentially, what you're doing is not connecting the Beam (and PLAY:1s) to your TV, instead you're connecting them to your PS4, and then running the video on your TV. So any other source that you're playing on your TV won't go through the Beam, but only the PS4.

The challenge will be (and I don't know how to do it) will be locking down the PS4 so that it is only sending a Dolby Digital signal, and not anything else, like DTS.
Badge

Essentially, what you're doing is not connecting the Beam (and PLAY:1s) to your TV, instead you're connecting them to your PS4, and then running the video on your TV. So any other source that you're playing on your TV won't go through the Beam, but only the PS4.

This is precisely what I'd like to pull off (exactly what the system isn't designed to do!). I have the PS4 settings designated for optical out and Dolby digital and of course have optical converted w the adapter cable into the Beam but no joy. No sound at all and since I'm not connecting to the TV, there is no option to designate the PS4 as the source for the room speaker in the app. Probably futile but I always like to try to push the tech before throwing in the towel.
If you do a Google search for PS4 and Sonos, which I haven't done, I think you'll find a lot of people who have had difficulty in getting the PS4 to really output a Dolby Digital signal through the optical port. Don't use the forum's search function, it's hit or miss.

For testing purposes, you may want to set the PS4 to send just a stereo signal at first, just in order to get the other variables worked out first, so then you can move on to Dolby Digital.

The Beam wouldn't have any idea what is sending the signal to it. Optical is a one way transmission. So you'd just be selecting the Beam's room as what is playing when doing any testing. If it's receiving a stereo or Dolby Digital signal, it should work. You can look under ...More>Settings>About My Sonos System to see what the Beam thinks it's getting, it would be listed on the line that says "Audio In:" under the Beam. If it's not getting anything it can recognize, it would be blank.

I don't think what you're doing is crazy, just unusual. And I think it should be possible, essentially setting up a surround system for just the PS4. It's just unusual to cut the TV out of the equation. It might be easier to just include the TV, and use the Sonos surround system for all inputs to the TV, not just the PS4.