Answered

Apple TV & Connect Amp (v1)

Long time listener, first time caller.

Ok so here goes... first off I love my Sonos system. My wife and I had this installed when we built our new home over 5 years ago. Basically the install is 4 Sonos Connect Amps paired with some in ceiling Tru Audio speakers. All Connect Amps were connected to the cable box via RCA,(Sound latency but we all know about this, not a deal breaker, I just muted the TV.) and a Sonos Connect hooked up to my Integra receiver in my home theater. Loved it!

Long story short, we cut the cable cord thanks to Direct TV Now, but since my Apple TV doesn't have RCA outs, no more audio for TV. Optical out is not an option since my Tvs are over fireplaces. Music over Sonos still works great wirelessly but really miss the TV experience. Ok enough backstory and onto my question...

Hypothetically if I were to purchase a Sonos One, since its on the same Sonos Network and its AirPlay 2 enabled, I could group my speakers, and change the audio out for my Apple TV to use Airplay 2 to the new Sonos One, I should be able to group and have this back again for $200.00? Is this crazy talk? I really don't want to replace all of the v1 Connect Amps for the new shiny, more expensive v2 Connect Amps.

Thanks in advance!
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 4 December 2018, 17:05

Yep, that's pretty much the way I thought you were setup. I still like my original idea if your goal is to keep using the Connect Amp for audio.

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I can't say that I've used airplay much, but I wouldn't want to rely on it for my TV audio. Maybe someone else has setup their setup this way and found it worked well, but it just doesn't sound like a solid plan to me.

Can you describe your typical room setup a little more? So the TV is above the fireplace...what are it's current connections? I'd assume it's connected to AppleTV by HDMI, correct? Where is the AppleTV and Connect Amp located? Are they near each other?

Assuming the above is true, then I would just add a switch like this. Click here

The idea is that you take the HDMI output from AppleTV and split it to RCA audio for the Connect Amp and HDMI for your TV. It should be more reliable and much cheaper than using airplay through a Sonos One.
Userlevel 6
Badge +21
Great idea by melvimbe....here's another option with a remote: https://www.amazon.com/Matrix-FosPower-Switcher-Splitter-Optical/dp/B017RW073I

Cheers!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Yea, I meant to add that there are lots of options out there with slightly varying features. I like that AJ's suggestion gives you more flexibility. The key feature is HDMI in, HDMI + RCA audio out.
Thanks to you both! I am attaching a couple of visio sketches to give a better idea.

Today

Future

Thoughts?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Yep, that's pretty much the way I thought you were setup. I still like my original idea if your goal is to keep using the Connect Amp for audio.
Thanks again! Ordered and should have it in a couple of days.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings