Answered

Amp install with outdoor speakers

• 4 April 2019
  • 1 reply

Hi there, I have a pair of Klipsch AW-650 speakers for use on my back patio and a Sonos Amp (not Connect:Amp). Am wondering if the Amp can be installed outdoors (and how to protect it from the elements), or even in my garage (not temperature controlled, but protected from rain/snow) or whether I need to keep it in the house and run speaker wire?
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 4 April 2019, 15:34

The amp is not weather proof or resistant. I would not install it outside, unless you can protect it rather well. There are outdoor enclosures, designed for such a thing. The garage is probably going to be fine, as long as it's not going to have extreme temperatures.

When it comes to outdoor installations like this though, I think you also need to consider how long the speaker runs are, what guage of wire you should use, and that cost. If your garage is not located where you want to place the speakers, you may be saving money if you put the amp in interior closet (if you can get power there) near where the speakers will be placed.
View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The amp is not weather proof or resistant. I would not install it outside, unless you can protect it rather well. There are outdoor enclosures, designed for such a thing. The garage is probably going to be fine, as long as it's not going to have extreme temperatures.

When it comes to outdoor installations like this though, I think you also need to consider how long the speaker runs are, what guage of wire you should use, and that cost. If your garage is not located where you want to place the speakers, you may be saving money if you put the amp in interior closet (if you can get power there) near where the speakers will be placed.