Alternatives to Sonarray 2-125 Amplifier amplifier in Sonarray SR1 system

• 11 June 2019
  • 4 replies

So currently plans are to install the Sonarray system with 2-125 Amplifier and then connect a Sonos connect inside to stream music.

Are there suggested better solutions/alternatives to not using the included amplifier and just using a receiver/amplifier that would already have this streaming built into it and get a bit better punch then the included amplifier?

4 replies

The Sonos Amp ought to reduce the number of boxes simplifying things, but won't give a noticeably better punch. Be sure to pay attention to the wiring instructions for the various speaker wires that will be involved.
Of course this is worth it only if you can save the purchase price of the Sonos Amp via deletion of the other amp from the bundle.
Also read:
https://en.community.sonos.com/setting-up-sonos-228990/sonarray-sr1-outdoor-speaker-system-6825340

I think I have the same question but asking in a couple of different ways

1. if you use the included 2-125 amp in the bundle, do you need a connect to be able to connect your phone/stream to it?
  2. if I don’t get the 2-125 amp and run the sonarray to an older amp with zone b, I do need a connect to control it, correct?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I think I have the same question but asking in a couple of different ways

1. if you use the included 2-125 amp in the bundle, do you need a connect to be able to connect your phone/stream to it?
  2. if I don’t get the 2-125 amp and run the sonarray to an older amp with zone b, I do need a connect to control it, correct?

1 - Not sure what bundle you’re referring to.  2-125 amp is a Sonance product and from what little I know of them, they do not have the ability to stream content on their own...but I only took a 5 minute glance a the Sonance website.  You certainly can’t do Sonos streaming without a Sonos product.  The Connect has been replaced with the Port.

2 - Again, you’re talking about Sonance products, not Sonos.  If you have 3rd party passive speakers (sonarray) with a 3rd party amp, you can connect it to the Sonos system with a Port.  If you’re using zone B on your amp though, make sure that the amp can take input from the Port to play on zone B, as many dual zone amps cannot play from all the amps inputs.

Thank you for the response. I simply mean the sonarray comes in a bundle with the 2-125 amp. Good points on zone b I will check. Im new to Sonos for streaming and trying to figure this all out.