Album Art Issues

• 11 January 2011
  • 25 replies

Userlevel 2
Hi,

I've had the Sonos for a few days now and my main problem with it is getting the album art to display on the iPad controller. Since buying the Sonos I've figured out that there's a 250kb limit to the artwork to display on the controller. That information was buried nicely, thanks. That ought to be in the FAQ here.

So, I'm left with the prospect of compressing the filesize of most of my iTunes artwork. Some are below the 250kb limit. I'm currently looking for a script to do this. I'm using iTunes on a mac.

I don't quite understand this part of the FAQ: "The album art file can be embedded in the digital music file, (if the file format supports embedded art), or placed in the same folder as your music. If the image is placed in the same folder it must be named folder.xxx, (xxx being the supported extension). Each album should be in its own folder and contain one image file."

It's as clear as mud to me. The same folder as your music? So, the iTunes folder? Or the album's folder? Is it the image that should be named folder.jpg?

Some clarification here would be great.

Many thanks.

25 replies

Userlevel 2
Ok, right, I think I've figured something out.

The art must go in the album's folder, and be named folder.jpg, and this must be under 250kb. Or, it must be embedded in each track's file and be under 250kb.

However, you can't embed the artwork at over 250kb and have the folder.jpg at under 250kb. This doesn't work, and in order for iTunes to display my artwork, which I want it to do, the artwork has to be embedded in the the track's file. This means there's no point adding the folder.jpg at all. For me anyway.

It's one or the other. Either the embedded artwork must be under 250kb, or delete that artwork and add the folder.jpg image (under 250kb), but then your artwork won't display in iTunes.

That's what I'm seeing.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
The folder.jpg (or .png) should be in the same folder as the music files. If you right-click on a track in iTunes, you can Show In Finder to see the location. Drop a file called folder.jpg (or .png) in here.

iTunes used to store artwork in the file, then seperately in iTunes/Album Artwork & now it seems to embed again. Sometimes.
There is actually another FAQ, which mentions the 256k limit. Could the FAQs be better organised? Quite possibly.

If you choose to use the folder.xxx method, then yes the file is called "folder.jpg" (or other supported formats), and it sits in the same folder as the album tracks to which it relates:

If the digital format used does not support embedded album art, or the music files simply do not have it already embedded, you can place an album art image in the folder where the music is located, and name it "folder.jpg". JPEG is not the only format supported by Sonos however; GIF, PNG, and BMP up to 1024x1024 in size are also supported. The file must have the folder.xxx nomenclature and be located in the same folder as the music
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
It is a shame that if Sonos can't handle the embedded artwork (because it's too large), it doesn't try the folder.xxx if it exists.
Userlevel 2
It is a shame that if Sonos can't handle the embedded artwork (because it's too large), it doesn't try the folder.xxx if it exists.

So I have that right then? Sonos looks for embedded art, if none there it looks for the folder.jpg.

As you implied, ideally if you could have large artwork embedded, say for Apple front row display, or full screen iTunes display, and then a smaller version as the folder.jpg that would be great.
Userlevel 2
I haven't tried this yet, but you can now have multiple artwork embedded inside a music file in iTunes (the file format always had that capability, it's just iTunes only just caught up).

I'm not sure about how Sonos treats multiple art, but it probably just chooses the first in the list. How's about having the small art under 256K first in the file, and a larger one afterwards, and then configure iTunes to always show the larger one?

Just an idea, as I said I haven't tried it. Maybe try with one album first?

As for embedding iTunes artwork, see this script: http://dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/ss.php?sp=embedart
Userlevel 2
This is a big bummer for me. Over the years I have meticuously organized all my MP3 tracks to include (embed) the best available (some times larger sized) album art so they show up perfectly in my iTunes (PC screen) and all my iPods.....
I have bought a full (multiple zoneplayers) SONOS system and now I learn that the SONOS controller (on iPhone/iPad) can only handle 'small' embedded files sizes to show the album art .....

Before I start contemplating to re-organise my HUGE music collection to smaller embedded album art, can someone from SONOS explain this and/or let us know that they are working on a 'fix'.

thanks, Michael::rolleyes:
Userlevel 2
I totally agree Michael. I'm in the same boat.

I have around 700 albums with artwork over 256kb. I've since discovered that the Sonos iPad controller will display artwork up to 320kb!

As you say, bit of a bummer, and not clearly advertised either!
Userlevel 2
I'm in the same boat. Huge music library (100 GB, lossy) with a gazillion associated image files in iTunes, I'm sure. I know nothing about the size or state of this album art, I just know that it's there in iTunes and most of it isnt there in Sonos. I love the stability of the system, etc., but it's lousy, frankly, with album art. It shouldn't be. I would have thought a bit more about investing in a full system had I been aware of this up front. And I don't think this is clear, at all, in the promotional materials.

I guess I shouldnt be surprised that any company, even Sonos, would let (make) that shortcoming be obscured or hidden in their advertising and confusing documentation. It's a definite disappointment, and a fix would really, really make many of us very happy. Hear that, Sonos?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Please forgive me if I am teaching you to “suck egg” but here is how I embedded my album artwork so that it showed on my iPad, I am also sorry that for some reason, only links show to the photos.

First i minimise my screen to allow two pages to be viewed, one on iTunes, the other on Amazon because they normally have the artwork Im after, I am going to use a James Blunt album for this demo....Yeh I know.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc236/daveathall/Voila_Capture7.png

I click on the album to reveal the play list.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc236/daveathall/Voila_Capture8.png

I then select all on that playlist and find the same album in Amazon.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc236/daveathall/Voila_Capture9.png

I then click on the iTunes box and then click on File>Get info, a box appears, I then drag the artwork from Amazon into the box.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc236/daveathall/Voila_Capture11.png

Click on the OK at the bottom right of the box it then copies the artwork to each of the tracks, once this is completed your artwork is embedded and shows up on your pad.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc236/daveathall/10c01511.png

I do hope this is the info that you were after and am very sorry if it isn’t.
Userlevel 2
Please forgive me if I am teaching you to “suck egg”...

I'm not sure I really know what "suck egg" means, but...

Since I have a library of, I don't know, 1,000-10,000 albums, I don't want to spend the weeks it would take to do this process. Seems like the software should handle it, eh?

In any event, thanks for the help. It shows certainly how to update a single album, though, but I'm looking more at the larger issue of an entire library.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I'm not sure I really know what "suck egg" means, but...

Since I have a library of, I don't know, 1,000-10,000 albums, I don't want to spend the weeks it would take to do this process. Seems like the software should handle it, eh?

In any event, thanks for the help. It shows certainly how to update a single album, though, but I'm looking more at the larger issue of an entire library.

Sorry “Suck eggs” means teaching the obvious (UK term), sorry it wasn’t more help.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Having said that, granted, I only have 264 albums in my iTunes account, but a good 95% of them didn‘t need any work done to have them show on my iPad, are none of your albums showing artwork?
Userlevel 2
Please forgive me if I am teaching you to “suck egg” but here is how I embedded my album artwork so that it showed on my iPad, I am also sorry that for some reason, only links show to the photos.

First i minimise my screen to allow two pages to be viewed, one on iTunes, the other on Amazon because they normally have the artwork Im after, I am going to use a James Blunt album for this demo....Yeh I know.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc236/daveathall/Voila_Capture7.png

I click on the album to reveal the play list.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc236/daveathall/Voila_Capture8.png

I then select all on that playlist and find the same album in Amazon.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc236/daveathall/Voila_Capture9.png

I then click on the iTunes box and then click on File>Get info, a box appears, I then drag the artwork from Amazon into the box.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc236/daveathall/Voila_Capture11.png

Click on the OK at the bottom right of the box it then copies the artwork to each of the tracks, once this is completed your artwork is embedded and shows up on your pad.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc236/daveathall/10c01511.png

Cave, this is exactly what I do except I use album art exchange. The art there is top quality and good sizes although I've had to reduce the file sizes to work with Sonos.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I can see why, I’ve just added it to my favourites.

Thank you.
Userlevel 2
I can see why, I’ve just added it to my favourites.

Thank you.

No worries, and sorry for calling you cave. An iPad typo!

P.s. In itunes 10, in album cover view (the grid view) you can select an album, get info and update the art of all album tracks. This is slightly easier than selecting all tracks of the album in a list view.
Userlevel 2
Badge
No worries, and sorry for calling you cave. An iPad typo!

P.s. In itunes 10, in album cover view (the grid view) you can select an album, get info and update the art of all album tracks. This is slightly easier than selecting all tracks of the album in a list view.

Thank you once again.
Userlevel 2
Also Dave, once you have the info window up with all the tag boxes in it, you can drag and drop the album art anywhere on that window and it will know it's an image and place it in the art box. A little tip that means you can be a little less precise with your dragging and dropping 🙂
Userlevel 2
Badge
Another tip that I didn‘t know about, Thank you very much.

BTWI have been browsing Album Art Exchange, brilliant, great pointer, will be using it instead of Amazon in future.
Userlevel 2
Another tip that I didn‘t know about, Thank you very much.

BTWI have been browsing Album Art Exchange, brilliant, great pointer, will be using it instead of Amazon in future.

You're welcome. Don't forget to check the filesizes though! Or use a JPEG compression tool. Are you on windows or mac?
Userlevel 2
Badge
You're welcome. Don't forget to check the filesizes though! Or use a JPEG compression tool. Are you on windows or mac?

Im on a Mac.
Userlevel 2
Im on a Mac.

Ok, in that case look up Easycrop.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Ok, in that case look up Easycrop.

Thank you.
Userlevel 2
Using the Amazon > iTunes drag and drop method works a treat. But if you have 1,000+ in your library, well, agghhh!

I notice, too, that it takes 3-4mins for iTunes to update the artwork once dropped in. If it was instant I'd chip away at it.

Sonos support, a fix to this annoying issue would be grand!

I notice, too, that it takes 3-4mins for iTunes to update the artwork once dropped in. If it was instant I'd chip away at it.

If there is a wireless link between the computer and the music library, updates will be slow. If I am making massive updates to a library, I'll move the library to the computer or at least make sure that there is a wired connection to the library. The performance difference is not subtle.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings