Answered

Advice on yamaha receiver and system with Sonos

• 31 May 2020
  • 5 replies

Hi Everyone.  I am new to this forum but appreciate some advice form anyone.  I am a Sonos beginner and never really been at the stage to buy everything I want.  The dream was to set up our next home with Sonos...but the one we have just bought already comes with a built in-ceiling speaker system in all living areas and powered by a central Yamaha RX - V2079 amp. 

My next purchase was going to be a turntable and this was going to connect via Sonos amp to my new Sonos speakers...but now, this seems hard to justify with a full speaker system in the house.

Is there any way to connect Sonos products to the existing amp (which is situated in a cupboard)...especially my turntable for vinyl listening that I don't want in the cupboard.  Can u sue the port to stream this to the Yamaha amp, or does it need to be cable connected?

The only other ways I can see are a separate set up for my turntable (eg with Sonos five) or the expensive way of replacing the in ceiling speakers with Sonos ones and then the whole system Sonos.  Again hard to justify with an already exisiting system.

any advice or tips from more experts.

Thanks .

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 31 May 2020, 07:11

Most people would connect the turntable to the Yamaha, and allow that to pass it to the Sonos. There is a single line in on the port, normally that would be taken up by the output from the Yamaha, for anything else you were using the Yamaha for. The benefit is that (I expect) the Yamaha to hacpve a phono input, which includes the pre-amp necessary to boost the turntable’s output to a line level so it could then be passed to the Sonos. But, if the turntable isn’t going to be near the Yamaha, you could get a pre-amp, and connect it to one of the PLAY:5s, and the signal would be ‘in’ the Sonos ecosystem, so you could play it on any Sonos device, including passing the signal out from the Port to the Yamaha, which would then play it on the speakers connected to the Yamaha. 

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

The device you’re looking for is called the Sonos Port, and is designed to connect to existing amplifiers. It would integrate the amplifier, along with any connected speakers into your existing Sonos devices. Assuming this amplifier has a line in and line out available, most commonly used is a tape loop. 

Thank you.  So the port would be connected to the existing Yamaha amp… but would I need a second one to transmit the signal from the turntable?  That seems a lot? Or does the port somehow transmit to the current amp.
The current Yamaha amp is away in a cupboard and is the connection to the ceiling speakers. 

Most people would connect the turntable to the Yamaha, and allow that to pass it to the Sonos. There is a single line in on the port, normally that would be taken up by the output from the Yamaha, for anything else you were using the Yamaha for. The benefit is that (I expect) the Yamaha to hacpve a phono input, which includes the pre-amp necessary to boost the turntable’s output to a line level so it could then be passed to the Sonos. But, if the turntable isn’t going to be near the Yamaha, you could get a pre-amp, and connect it to one of the PLAY:5s, and the signal would be ‘in’ the Sonos ecosystem, so you could play it on any Sonos device, including passing the signal out from the Port to the Yamaha, which would then play it on the speakers connected to the Yamaha. 

Thank you again. Ok that makes sense. I did not realise that the Sonos five was also able to be used as a line-in for the Sonos system. Thanks.

Do you  happen to know if you use this, and then the port into the Yamaha amp to its speakers… would you expect any delays?  Ie, would the sound out the play 5 and the subsequent in-ceiling speakers be playing at the same time?

my apologies for the amateur questions!  Thanks again

No worries. Yes, there is a minimum delay on a Sonos analog input of 75 ms, so as to both digitize the signal, and buffer it so it can be played in sync across all Sonos devices. In your situation, if you were connect the turntable to the line in on the PLAY:5, you’d pay that 75ms at the PLAY:5, but the Sonos Port, connected to the Yamaha would be in sync, so as long as the Yamaha wasn’t adding any processing on its side, all speakers would be in sync.