Answered

Add speaker

• 4 January 2019
  • 10 replies

Please can someone give me an idiots guide to connecting a second speaker I have a sonos 1 which works ok but I cannot connect a Play one I have ve a windows 10 using the downloaded controller
icon

Best answer by ratty 4 January 2019, 18:40

You'll need to use an iOS or Android controller. The Windows controller (and the Mac controller) no longer includes the setup/admin options.
View original

10 replies

That is a good indication, IMHO, that you have some wifi interference in your LAN.

You may want to take a look at your local network environment. Or, if it might be a bad install of the controller, feel free to delete it completely, and just download and install a fresh version, being sure to "connect to existing system" when offered the option.
Thank you for the prompt response.

The windows controller seems to be buggy since the last update; today I can group speakers although yesterday the option was not available (virtual button next to each "room" was non-functioning.)

And although I can now group rooms again (no idea how or when it will work) the fact that a mobile device is mandatory to perform basic install actions means that I must download the app to my phone in order to properly use and manage the sonos equipment.

This is a deal breaker for me. I was an early client and been using sonos for nearly 10 years. in the last year the system has grown more problematic and this may be the issue that pushes me to another brand.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
And by "admin functions" ratty means "add a new speaker" in this case. No doubt you set up your first speaker using an older version of the Desktop controller, but since then Sonos decided to delete many things from the Desktop controller, including, inexplicably IMHO, the ability to add new speakers.

The explanation was thoroughly discussed in this thread.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
And by "admin functions" ratty means "add a new speaker" in this case. No doubt you set up your first speaker using an older version of the Desktop controller, but since then Sonos decided to delete many things from the Desktop controller, including, inexplicably IMHO, the ability to add new speakers.
Grouping is still there in the Desktop Controller, as are other routine playback controls. It's the admin functions which are restricted to the iOS and Android controllers.
Is this a joke? I dont want the only means of controlling to be my phone. I only want it to be controlled by the desktop controller. After the recent update the "group rooms" option disappeared. Having to use my phone is a deal breaker for me so i hope this can be restored. Please help!
Thank you both for your help I don't quite know how I did it !! but the first speaker works great ,I will try your ad/fgfvice
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No you can't install an android mobile controller on a PC. Don't you have a mobile phone apple or android? Any mobile device pretty much? How did you install the first one?

You should go into phone controller and into sonos app where the first one is already setup. Go to lower bottom corner (More) button and then click the + Add speakers selection.
Thanks I thought that was the answer can I install Android controller on a PC? sorry to seem so ignorant but I have just bought 2 speakers & the first on works fine & this is where I am trying to connect the second one
You'll need to use an iOS or Android controller. The Windows controller (and the Mac controller) no longer includes the setup/admin options.