Question

Add a Room

Hi, I have a sonos system in my home and have for 3 years. Recently one of our room fell off our list to choose from. Can you provide me a step by step document How to add a room back to our group list selection. thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Hi Mikeeta, 

please find our FAQ on how to "add a room" to Sonos here: 

FAQ 

Regards, 

Daniel H. 
Hi Mikeeta, 

FAQ 

Regards, 

Daniel H. 

Under "Settings", I see "Add a Player or SUB" and "Add a BRIDGE". I don't see anything about adding a room.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Hi Mikeeta, 

FAQ 

Regards, 

Daniel H. 

Add a Player
Userlevel 2
Same problem here, and the initial question was NOT answered correctly..... we dont need to "add a player" rather add a room so that we may reasign existing players... THERE IS NO OPTION FOR THIS under add player. Please try again...
You can just change the name of the speaker to the new room name, can't you?
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
So say you have 7 speakers. You can name them anything you want. Each could be a "room" I name my for the kids name for the room they are in. Now if you have a stereo "Pair" you could name them "kitchen" but is is 2 speakers.

How many speakers do you have and can you control them?
Same problem here, and the initial question was NOT answered correctly..... we dont need to "add a player" rather add a room so that we may reasign existing players... THERE IS NO OPTION FOR THIS under add player. Please try again...No need to be rude. The question was answered but you failed to grasp the answer.
Userlevel 1
I have a similar problem, but I'll try to explain better.

I have a play bar with 2 play:1 for surround. These are setup as 1 room.

Now, on occasion, I want to take the 2 play:1 speakers (only) to the pool area so I can have a party with some music. I don't want to take the sub woofer and playbar to the the pool too!

So, I want to setup another room, or zone, that has only the play:1 speakers on it.

Can this be done? If not, then I think this is a must-add feature, as it makes it very flexible.

Thanks
You must unbond the Play:1s from the Playbar in order to do this, then redo the setup to go back. There is no easy way to do it because bonding is meant to be a semi-permanent process.
Userlevel 1
Does anyone else feel this should be more easily supported though?
It's been requested many times, so apparently some people do think so.
Having the same problem here- I just got a 2nd Play 5 with the idea of sometimes using them as a Stereo Pair, and sometimes Separating them and bringing one speaker outside, while playing the same music (in mono) on both.
Because I wanted the tuning to match when using them as a stereo pair inside, I used my existing "Living Room".
Now, there doesn't seem to be a way to add "Patio" after the fact. So, I have the choice of either hearing only one channel in each location, or having the speakers unlinked, playing whatever music they happen to be playing.
So, to sum up, how can I "Add A Room" and assign a Play 5 to it?
Do I just need to re-setup the speaker from scratch, and create the Room at that time?
Are you saying that you have given the same name to both your speakers? If so, that was a mistake. Just go into Room Settings and rename one something else. You can group or stereo pair them as you wish.
OK, that's what I did, and I found the list of rooms when I tapped "Living Room" at the top of the App.
Now trying to figure out the Group Rooms page 🙂
I am sure you will get the hang of it. Just tap the Group button for either speaker then make sure both boxes are ticked. Stereo pairing requires you to go into the Room Settings.
Yeah, the stereo pairing worked fine but I've tapped the group button about a million different ways but it doesn't seem to link them. Like, if "Living Room" is the "Master" and I set "Patio" to "Play music from Living Room", I still don't get any sound out of the "Patio" Play5 unless I just play it directly
What on earth are you doing??!! Get the "now playing " screen in front of you for "Living Room" (say). Tap the "Living Room" at the top of the screen. This should bring up the list of the two rooms. Tap the Group button for Living Room. Living Room should already be ticked. Touch the dot next to Patio so that both rooms are ticked. Touch "Done". Job done.
JOHN WINS!!!!
I don't know how, but I thought I'd tried exactly what he'd said dozens of times to no avail.
But hey, what's one more time?
This time, the screen came up exactly as he said and we're linked!!!!
THANKS!!!!
Does anyone else feel this should be more easily supported though?yes but i juat bought a couple more play1s instead of faffing every weekend