A/V Sync

Badge
Just installed a Sony XBR900G and a Playbase. I wish Best Buy would have advised about compatibility issues between Sony (XBR) and SONOS (Playbase). It's almost impossible to sync audio with video when using DirecTV (HDR21). Any advice before I return the PlayBase?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

Turn off all of the extra "processing" functions that the Sony TV has in it's audio settings. The more things it's doing to the audio signal, the greater the delay. Also, check for firmware updates.

The other option is to get an HDMI switch which has an optical port on it. This would allow you to pull the audio out before it gets delayed by the firmware on the TV, and based on other posts in this forum (in the Home Theater area) will resolve the issue.
Badge
Thanks for the quick reply, Bruce. I can try minimize extra processing again, and I think geek squad checked for software updates when doing the installation.

Re the HDMI switch I’m confused where it would go?

Now I have HDMI between the TV and DirecTV box,and an optical cable between the Sony and the Playbase.

Can you describe where the HDMI switch would go? Thx.
In your case, the DirecTV box would go into the HDMI Switch with the same HDMI cable you have now. If you had other devices, like a DVD player, game console, etc, would also go into the HDMI switch.

Then, from the HDMI switch, you would have basically two more cables. One would be an HDMI, which would carry the video to the TV set, the other would be an optical cable which would carry the audio to the PLAYBASE.

Essentially, you're extracting the audio signal before it reaches the TV, and the delay introduced by the extra processing that Sony appears to be doing.

Did I explain it properly? Does it make sense? If not, ask more questions. 🙂
You can do a quick search on Amazon for more information about these kinds of switches, just use the keywords: "hdmi switch optical audio out"

There's lots of them, pick one that matches your needs and budget, they're not overly expensive, mostly. I don't have a particular recommendation, as I don't have this issue with my Vizio, and don't use one of them.
Badge
Yea, great explanation. ,,, but then my Blu-ray and Apple TV will have to routed thru the same switch which complicates switching input channels, since I will then need another remote control to switch input channels, right? I also don't understand how routing thru the switch ensures that the video and audio will be synchronized. It seems a bit like trial and error. As much as I had hoped the playbase would work out maybe another brand would be a better companion with the Sony ??? Or would using a receiver to a better job synchronizing audio and video?
Yes, you'll unfortunately need another remote, although most of them come with one, and if you're already using a universal remote like a Logitech Harmony, it should just handle it.

What you're doing by setting this up is taking the sound out of the processing system by the TV set. Since it comes out before the signal goes to the TV, the TV can't delay it, which means that it will play on your Sonos at the same time as the video.

Since the problem is in the processing of the signal in the TV, any other soundbar that you connect to the TV will have the exact same issue, assuming you use the same connection.

A receiver would be splitting the audio signal out before it got to the TV, much in the same way that the HDMI switch box is, so it would just be a more expensive way of doing the same thing.
Badge
Great answer. Makes sense. I do have a Logitech Harmony, and hope I would be able to program it to recognize the hdmi splitter. This whole setup seems unnecessarily complicated given I just spent $2100 on a 2019 TV, but from what I’m reading many (if not all?) 4K TVs are not really pairing well with sound bars because of the video upscaling processing time. Interestingly the lip sync issue is less visible when I stream 4K content from Netflix.
Not all 4K TVs. Seems to be LG, Samsung and Sony, pretty much those are the only ones I've seen complaints about. Oh, and one person was complaining about a TCL. No other manufacturers seem to have an issue passing through a signal without trying to modify it. And honestly, there haven't been many Sony folks complaining, you're the first one that's come back after checking the audio settings to turn off any extra processing that may be occurring.

But every single person who's bothered to come back and post after getting an HDMI switch with an optical output on it has said that it worked for them. That's honestly what leads me to believe that the issue is in the TVs, and not in Sonos. If it was a Sonos issue, we'd see it across every single manufacturer.

But outstanding that you have a Logitech. I'm sure you'll be able to, at the least, teach it how to handle the HDMI splitter.

The difference in lipsync with Netflix is interesting....more evidence that there's something odd going on in the TV. If I were you, I'd be writing emails to Sony's customer service (and I'm a former Sony employee, albeit years ago, and in another division completely. Used to buy Sony equipment because I got a nice discount, and it was good equipment.) I have to wonder if there's still an outstanding firmware update that they haven't released publicly that would resolve this issue for you, so you could skip the whole HDMI switch thing. It's really a kludge, I don't like it, but it's one of those things that if the silly manufacturer can't get right, there's just nothing that Sonos can do, other than pass on the complaint. It's just not possible for them to play the sound before it gets to them, despite what many people seem to want....if you read the threads about this issue.

But I'm rambling. And you're welcome, I noted that I never acknowledged your thank you, I didn't mean to ignore your kindness.

Best of luck, whichever way you land .
Badge
Thanks again Bruce, I’ve already learned so much from your thoughtful replies. Too bad I didn’t study this before I made my purchases although I have everything less than a week so I’m sure I could return it all and change directions if I had to.

I did research TVs a lot and felt pretty good about the Sony 900/950’s, although I was more focused on the display technologies and brands. I’m not thrilled with the Android TV infrastructure, but they’ve done a decent job integrating apps, especially Netflix. My other goal was to trash my 10 year old receiver and entry level speakers and theoretically simplify my life and move to a Sonos sound bar, since I already owned 4 Sonos 1’s.

Just in case I keep the play base I ordered a switch from amazon, but I’m not looking forward to the extra time, cabling, remotes, etc. I just researched some sound bar systems coming out this April and May from definitive that are twice the price but seem to be really matched properly for a 4K tv with hdmi connections for audio and integrated remote control (using your tv remote). I’ll head back to Best Buy tomorrow to see what the geek squad would have done if I had paid the extra 49 fo them to connect the playbase ,, haha, I wonder if they even understand there is a lip sync issue.

Again, really appreciate your help!!

I’ll post again, as I learn more.

- Howie
Badge
Bruce; here’s the latest. I replaced my directv receiver and carefully reconnected all devices after unplugging each device. This according to Sony will re-sync each connection ; TV to Playbase, and DirecTV to TV. I also changed one setting on the SonyTV, changing the audio output to PCM which so far has corrected the lip/sync issues. I guess the trade off is lower fidelity ? Since the playbase is receiving a stereo signal rather than Dolby (5:1)??

I guess when I’m watching Blu-ray or streaming I could change the audio setting back to Auto which restores the audio to a more expansive sound stage. A bit of a pain, but getting exhausted. Not sure who’s the worst offender here, Sony, Directv or Sonos?

One other question; do you think adding the Sonos sub would be any value when listening to the PCM feeds from Directv ?

Any more thoughts on this ,,,

Thanks, Howie
OK, you've mildly confused me. I tend to think in connections in the direction of the signal travels in. So, the DirecTV HDMI goes to the TV, the optical cable goes to the PLAYBASE. But yes, that's exactly what you've done, and the way I would be doing it as well.

Setting the TV to PCM will restrict everything to stereo, and you wouldn't be getting any Dolby Digital, which means that the center channel, surrounds, and SUB won't be getting a lot of exercise. While it does reduce the delay, since you're not allowing the TV to handle the Dolby Digital signal, it's not something that makes me happy/comfortable.

In my home, with a Vizio TV rather than a Sony, I have a similar setup. The DirecTV Genie connects to the TV via HDMI, and the optical cable runs from my TV to my PLAYBAR. I have the DirecTV set to (oh, god, I hate, hate, hate the current slow DirecTV interface) Dolby Digital, by going to Settings/Audio/Dolby Audio(tm) and turning that to "On". Then in my Vizio, I have the TV locked to Dolby Digital as well. In my case, that means setting the Digital Audio Out to Bitstream, rather than PCM. Fortunately, my current TV doesn't have any other settings to modify the sound, such as SRS, or other "bonus" features. The absolute closest you can get to a direct passthrough of the audio signal, the better off you are.

Bluray is more challenging. If you have a bluray player that can transcode DTS to Dolby Digital (see DTS transcoders ) then you just need to adjust the settings. I used to have to go in to each disc's audio settings to see if it had a Dolby Digital soundtrack, and select that, otherwise I'd watch in stereo. These days, I stream most of my movies, and they automatically come with a Dolby Digital soundtrack from Apple.

Worst offender? All three. It would be delightful if Sonos were to decode DTS....but it can't be carried on an optical cable, which would require new hardware from them to deal with that. Obviously Sony isn't processing the signal properly and handing it out on the optical output on the TV, and DirecTV doesn't even handle DTS, as near as I can tell. I don't use their "purchase movies" option, so I don't know if it's available in that area, but it certainly isn't a normal setting on my Genie device.

If you were to add a SUB to a PCM signal, you'd get a little bit of benefit, but not enough, in my opinion, to justify the cost. You really need a full Dolby Digital signal to exercise that device properly.
In your case, I still recommend an external HDMI switch. If Sony can't handle the processing of the digital signal properly, you should be pulling it off before it reaches the TV. That won't help with your Bluray issues, but it would resolve your DirecTV issues.

DirecTV via HDMI to the switch
Switch via HDMI to the TV
Switch via optical to your PLAYBASE

That way, you'd get a true Dolby Digital signal with no lipsync issues.

You could then choose to connect your Bluray player to either the TV via HDMI, or connect it to the switch, your choice.
Badge
I left one key fact out. Sonos had me use the optical directly from the directv box which in fact produced higher fidelity (I’m dating myself) and absolutely no sync issues, so this supports your recommendation for an external hdmi switch.

But if I connect my blue ray or Apple TV to the tv how would audio get to the play base. Seems like I’d have to connect every source device to the hdmi switch at that point.

I can still return the Sony which btw has a great picture. What else to buy, that avoids this problem?
Badge
One more idea,,, what about using an optical audio switch. This way Directv can be wired thru the switch to the play base and similarity the Sony can have its optical audio connection to the switch to the play base. Then need a remote to make switch. Wonder if I can somehow train a harmony remote?
Badge
And if its a Android tv, then turn the samba off in the Android system the samba can be the problem
Badge
What and where is samba
Badge
https://youtu.be/w3ZnPq06jjA take a look at the you tube link:D
As long as the Apple TV and bluray device is sending a Dolby Digital signal, sure, you could attach them both to the switch. The switch doesn't change DTS to Dolby though. Most of them come with 4 HDMI inputs, sometimes more, and one out, along with an optical out.

Glad Sonos proved to you that it was (as I suspected, just never 100% sure, since I can't put my hands/ears/eyes on it) the TV set.

And if you're dating yourself, you're my age :)

You could potentially do the optical switch, but that actually is more problematic. You'd need to be sure that all your other devices also have an optical output. As an example, my old Apple TV device does, my newer one doesn't. I would find it easier to go with the lowest common denominator, which is HDMI, across all of my devices. And I don't think the cost would be substantially different.

You and I seem to be fairly similar. I too have a couple of Harmony/Logitech remotes, and yes, I'm sure that you could either "learn" the IR codes for the switch, or I'd bet that they're already in their database.
Badge
Hey Bruce, I’m hoping the optical switch would actually be simpler and preserve the built in apps like Netflix (4K).

If I used an hdmi splitter there would be no way to extract the audio from the tv for their internal streaming apps. Am I right?
I suppose that would work, but I’d be questioning whether the output from the TV on those internal apps is delayed in the same manner as the data coming in from an HDMI input.

But that’s relatively easily testable. :)

But then all devices you want to be using must have an optical output. Which may restrict future purchases. As previously indicated, you can no longer get an Apple TV with an optical output. I’ve not shopped for a Blu-ray player recently, but were you to need a new one, there’s the potential there that selection may be limited. My perception is that optical is waning, and HDMI in its various forms is rising, due to its ability to carry higher rates of data.
Badge
Bruce, I don't think I made myself clear, heres a schematic of what I hope will work for me. Let me know what you think.
If indeed the TV is having an issue (which I think we've established?), then you're going to have issues with the sound from your Apple TV and Bluray player, since they're not connected directly to your optical switch, and the sound will be going through that extra processing on the TV. That's why I'm recommending the HDMI switch, which would strip the audio from all three devices (the DirecTV, the Apple TV, and the Bluray player) before it reaches the TV set.

But, it won't provide you the audio from that/those internal TV app(s). So yea, that's not perfect either, but is there any reason why you can't use the Apple TV to stream anything that would normally be on the internal apps?

One thing to remember.....I'm just a guy on the internet. I won't represent myself as having all the answers, I'm just responding from my own perspective. But I will refund you every penny you've paid me, if I'm incorrect 🙂
Badge
Haha, I wont pay you more than you deserve, don't worry. I tested the other sources and they all play great through the TV, There's something about the audio from DirecTV that for some reason Sony doesn't handle properly, so they're the only outlier. I will eventually write this up more precisely and post again on here with Sonos, and also with Sony and DirecTV. It just doesn't make sense to em still to have to go through this. But thanks to you for motivating me to look for a solution. Hopefully I have one. The first of a few optical switches arrive today from Amazon.
Now that's confusing. Have you tried, perchance, just changing the HDMI port that the DirecTV is connected to? I can't think of why it would handle Dolby Digital from one source any different than Dolby Digital from any other source. i.e. Dolby Digital is just Dolby Digital, there's no variability. The only thing that would make sense to me is if the port itself handled things differently. Maybe it's an HDMI-ARC thing? Although from what I know about that, it shouldn't make any difference either. I'm perplexed.

I'll look forward to your results, then. As diagrammed, they should work. As far as I can tell 🙂
Badge
Stay tuned ,,,